Digital Camera advice

rickya

Wanted some advice as Im due to get a new digital camera soon.

-Looking to spend approx £250 max

-Would like a quality camera in so much as not too bothered about lots of different features but want quality images.

-Must have good Auto mode & preferably not too many manual adjustments needed from shot to shot to get good results.

-More concerned with wide angle than long zoom.

-Finally dont want a big size SLR!

I have done very little research & have come up with some that seem almost like SLR's but look like a compact digi camera. (see below) Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3EB-K Digital Camera

034051.jpg

PANASONIC FX100EBS Digital Camera

607736_01_large.jpg

Casio Exilim Z1200BK Digital Camera

687735.jpg

Olympus MJU780 Black Digital Camera

409556.jpg

etc... :wacko:

hello mate,

i have this one, canon ixus 850is. http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=770&gclid=CMWlrti7ho8CFQaHMAodbml4wA

very nice camera, slim/lightweight, takes great shots in auto mode and has various manual settings which i have used yet. and has the wideangle lens, great for fitting in that little bit more.

i got mine from amazon.co.uk, for £198, but looking at it now on the site it seems to be selling for £300+ :wacko: couldnt have increased that much in 2-3 months..!!!..

hello mate,

i have this one, canon ixus 850is. http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product.asp?ProductID=770&gclid=CMWlrti7ho8CFQaHMAodbml4wA

very nice camera, slim/lightweight, takes great shots in auto mode and has various manual settings which i have used yet. and has the wideangle lens, great for fitting in that little bit more.

i got mine from amazon.co.uk, for £198, but looking at it now on the site it seems to be selling for £300+ :wacko: couldnt have increased that much in 2-3 months..!!!..

Agee, am on my 3rd Ixus and highly recommend them...

Another vote for Sony from me too, awesome cameras :)

One thing I wouldn't be too worried about is pixels, anything over 7 is getting a tad silly, after all - who prints there photos in A1 format? :D

Try and get something with a quality lens, Carl Zeiss for example.

I have had panasonics and swear by them, but recently bought a pentax, and it was rubbish, so i will be back with panasonics, I am no expert on photography (though I a have just bought an SLR and going to start trying to learn about it all)

but the panasonics have been robust, held up to a lot of abuse, hits impacts etc... and it has a decent LEICA lense... also think that many of these other cameras have to buy the photo-componentry from Panasonic , or one of its many corporations...(matsushita electrical, national etc...

I had an Exlim and drowned it at sea world in San Diego. I broke the screen. I bought one those Leica lensed panasonic things to replace it. Seems to be pretty good. Just as easy to use as my exlim was but with a fancier kind of lens.

I only buy cameras to lob in my pocket so I'm not too fussy. I haven't tried anything else recently so can't comment!

Thanks for all advice so far chaps :D I have just bought Digital Camera Buyer mag & am reading through to get some more ideas.

Currently the list is down to:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3EB-K

Casio Exilim Z1200BK

Cannon Powershot A640

Go into a good shop with a short list and try them out. I remember when I bought the Exlim trying out another one but it wasn't good to hold and wasn't very ergenomic with button placement. The Exlim was excellent for me as is this panasonic leica one.

I think you can get quite reasonable disposables now. :p

Louis, you might have to do some pics of my car. :blush:

Sure can mate. I need to do Jay and Limiter's cars, however i can get some of yours at the November meet :thumbs: You have my number though so if you want to arrange something sooner let me know. Only issue is i do not have a car so cant get anywhere. :(

Sure can mate. I need to do Jay and Limiter's cars, however i can get some of yours at the November meet :thumbs: You have my number though so if you want to arrange something sooner let me know. Only issue is i do not have a car so cant get anywhere. :(

When is the November meet again?

11th mate. :thumbs:

Where? :blush:

Where? :blush:

Docklands from what i remember. Then a nice drive through london. I cant remember the place name but im sure Jay will be around to let everyone know.

• 5 months later...
Ordered it.................5 months late though!! :teeth:

Panasonic TZ3 Black + Samsonite Protector Case + Innovate 2GB High Speed (120x) + CGAS007 Spare Battery Saver Bundle inc VAT & delivery:

£188 from Camerabox.co.uk

http://www.camerabox.co.uk/product1.asp?ProductName=Panasonic%20Lumix%20DMC-TZ3%20Black&ProductID=2875

Cool, about time, im all set to take pics of yours by the way. Just need a location :thumbs: