Any plumbers around?Leaking bath into downstairs flat!

skidder

Final question i'm going to leave the water off at the mains and also the heating to see if that makes any difference.I presume no issue with this?i.e frozen pipes etc

Don't let the rooms drop below 10'c otherwise you'll get condensation everywhere.

Turning the heating off you'll still have water in the rads and pipework wont you?

if you turn all your water off... how are you going to find the leak :shrug:

Ive spent two days looking for it.

Was just trying to isolate the combi-boiler and make sure it is definitely one of my pipes. :wacko:

Got a plumber coming tomorrow.

Hopefully I can sort this mess out.

Hopefully ive not missed you say it already, but where is the water appearing in the flat below? Above solid ceiling? Down a wall? At low level?

Also, if you did empty a full bath, how much of that water would you say appears down stairs?

What has the weather been like?

Are the rainwater downpipes internal or external to the building?

Trying to rule out any other possible causes.

Hopefully ive not missed you say it already, but where is the water appearing in the flat below? Above solid ceiling? Down a wall? At low level?

in the corner of a dry wall ceiling and seeping through/down the wall about a foot each way

Also, if you did empty a full bath, how much of that water would you say appears down stairs?

about two 2 pints but it takes 12-15 hours to actually appear.

What has the weather been like?

1 degrees

Are the rainwater downpipes internal or external to the building?

external

Trying to rule out any other possible causes.

Yes thank-you

To be honest i'm thinking it might be the toilet waste.The colour coming through the ceiling is a brown colour(sorry).I thought that was just water seeping through wood.

And no it doesn't smell!

I've lifted all the floorboards I can access and the water pipes for the bath and separate waste pipes go out of the bathroom in the opposite direction and don't leak.

The toilet waste pipe is the only thing that goes down that way.I can see its not leaking my end but then it goes down through the wall.

Water stains almost always come through brown, its likely the plaster discolouring it.

Hopefully Phil can help tomorrow but imho its not the bath, unless its a very small leak, if you emptied the bath and that was the issue, she would have an indoor water feature, it would be pi**ing out her ceiling.

I would say with the recent cold spell we have had down here, frost etc, a pipe has split (possibly in the cavity), it could not be even your flat, it may be coming from above you and just finding the low point, do you have a flat above?

• Like 1

I would say with the recent cold spell we have had down here, frost etc, a pipe has split (possibly in the cavity), it could not be even your flat, it may be coming from above you and just finding the low point, do you have a flat above?

No I don't have a flat above. I have one to the side but nobody lives there at the moment.

Its just that it started just before I went away.Came back after I returned 5 days later.

Edited by skidder

The reason i asked about weather was due to a problem i have had recently.

Moved into a house in Sept and have been non stop DIY. Before plastering the living room i notice a damp spot down the wall and up high at the ceiling. Being under the bathroom i thought it was the plumbing, but it actually was perished sealant on the bathroom UPVC window. Water was getting in at the edges of the sill, dripping down inside the wall but behind the gyproc/tiles, and appearing in the living room below.

If it has been raining a leak could be a possibility?

Looks like I just found the bloody leak.

The stop co*k!

Must be an overnight night thing/boiler pressure think as the water was leaking quite heavily overnight.

Switched it off.No more leak!!

Now to soften my neighbour up....

Edited by skidder

so is this your responsibility or can you pass it back to the landlord

I'm going to sort it out as its my stop-co*k thats caused the damage not a communal pipe so the freeholder isn't liable in my opinion.

Also my lease states this.

Edited by skidder