head unit advice please

nixy

I want a new head unit that i can use with my ipod and control my ipod with via the head unit rather than the ipod click wheel. I don't need anything mega powerful or ear splitting and don't want to pay a fortune. I've seen quite a few that look okay on the internet but I'm not too sure of everything I need. I will have a double sized hole where the old 2 head units are, someone told me I need a Nissan converter lead? And do I need extra leads or anything for the ipod? I don't want to buy something and find I haven't got everything I need.

I went for an Alpine unit & it came with all the cables for my Ipod.

You need a PAC-ROEM kit, Micra 4 Speaker harness, Aerial adaptor & a new fascia surround.

+1 The Alpine units also bypass the Apple software for playing the iTunes which provides better quality.

A decent installer shouldbe able to recommend, provide and install all of the above that Ian mentions. :thumbs:

Few to look at....

Cheapest - Sony CDX-GT310 and iPod box ~ £100

Very good Midrange - Alpine CDE-9881R + KCE-422i Interface Cable £152.8

http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/CDE-9881 ... tml?cat=20

If you don't need a CD player best out there - Alpine iDA-X001 - £225

http://www.sextonsdirect.co.uk/iDA-X001 ... tml?cat=20

Out of them the 9881 is probably the best bang for buck.

• 1 month later...

just resurrecting this thread as I'm hoping to get a head unit for xmas. Other than the fascia surround which I've seen on a website - what is the other stuff that Ian mentions, what's it for and where can I get it - it's all greek to me!

just resurrecting this thread as I'm hoping to get a head unit for xmas. Other than the fascia surround which I've seen on a website - what is the other stuff that Ian mentions, what's it for and where can I get it - it's all greek to me!

The PAC adaptor is needed as the output level from the BOSE headunit (and therefore the input into the amp) is different from aftermarket and most other headunits. It allows it to work basically! These normally seem to be on eBay or a decent ICE dealer will get one.

The speaker harness and aerial adaptor are due to connectivity, as the sockets and plugs for the BOSE will be different to what you will get on the end of your aftermarket unit. Get these either from your local ICE dealer or Halfords.

The fascia surround is to fill the area where the original unit is. The factory unit is 'double din' (twice the size of a normal aftermarket one) and the fascia blanks off the area around a normal size CD player. ICE dealer or possibly Halfords for these. :thumbs:

• 5 weeks later...
I like the look of the Alpine 9881 model - any ideas for cost of the PAC, harnesses, fascia and fitting at a decent ICE dealer.

anyone know of any decent ICE dealers nr Chester ?

Ads :victory:

safe and sound in garden city.............. :thumbs:

0800 54 22 875 ;)

• 3 weeks later...

You need a PAC-ROEM kit, Micra 4 Speaker harness, Aerial adaptor & a new fascia surround.

Hi,

Why do you need a (Nissan) Micra 4 speaker harness? Where would I get an aerial adaptor?

Ah - Halfords do the aerial adapter! Do you see any major problems such as grey area imports (warranty) if I purchased through USA?

Hi,

Why do you need a (Nissan) Micra 4 speaker harness? Where would I get an aerial adaptor?

Ah - Halfords do the aerial adapter! Do you see any major problems such as grey area imports (warranty) if I purchased through USA?

The harness is for the speakers (they are the same as in the micra)

not sure about the warranty though :thumbs:

Hi,

So what is the order of fitment?

Take old unit out

Get Nissan cable loom and facia from here for example(http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=2117)

Get PAC ROEM (http://www.shipsound.com/product_info.p ... d150d4874c)

Does Nissan cable loom feed into Pac Roem?

and then speaker cables fit into pac roem? Dos this mean I still need Micra cable loom?

Sorry for all questions - want to get al the bits ordered!

G :)

Hi,

So what is the order of fitment?

Take old unit out

Get Nissan cable loom and facia from here for example(http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=2117)

Get PAC ROEM (http://www.shipsound.com/product_info.p ... d150d4874c)

Does Nissan cable loom feed into Pac Roem?

and then speaker cables fit into pac roem? Dos this mean I still need Micra cable loom?

Sorry for all questions - want to get al the bits ordered!

G :)

I cant remember 100% but i think this is how i did it.

[NEW_HU]---(RAD-UNV)---[PAC-OEM]---(AMP-NIS2)---[bOSE_AMP]

The speaker harness runs from the speakers to the headunit - the HU harness was spliced into the Micra harness. The PAC-OEM plugs direct into the amp and then also splices into the HU harness.

I should have done a write up when I installed it :blush:

Dont I need another PAC to connect steering controls to unit?

Edit: Just found it- PAC SWI-ALP from here (is this the one?)

http://www.shipsound.com/product_info.php?products_id=102838

Yup thats the one for the steering controls, I didnt bother with it though

So lets pull this all together - I will need:

1) Head unit (drrrr!)

2) PAC ROEM for amp/head unit

3) PAC SWI-ALP

4) Ipod full speed connector cable

5) KCE-300BT Bluetooth unit

6) KCA-420i interface adapter

7) Single DIN fascia

8) Micra speaker wire loom

9) Aerial adapter

Is that it!?

Do I need a wiring harness also or is that the Micra loom?

Thanks for your comments Ian :thumbs: