Top Gear Patagonia Special Part II

coldel

It doesnt matter if anyone here could remember the date of the Falklands

Of course it does, on that basis how was anyone in the TG team supposed to recognise it on that assumption?

Clarkson gave his reasons for taking the Porsche, heartfelt reasons i might add!

If your honestly saying you would have made the assumption re the plate if you had not been told beforehand, i apologise reservedly, but as said elsewhere, what were the plates on the Mustang & Lotus? What were the plates on any of the other TG xmas cars?

From what i can gather they were only made aware once filming (because someone linked the plate), they had a set of plates made to avert the possibility of some action, even that backfired as mentioned elsewhere as some associated that with the sinking of the Bellgrano rather than reading it as pretty much everyone else would!!!!! What they were supposed to do, cancel the whole show, run illegal plates??

Buy something else whilst there, if they took the issue seriously enough, a multi-million pound TV show can afford a £10k replacement car. Its so simple a solution. The just smash the cars up anyway so its not like they are looking to retain any value in the cars.

They could have actually created a really good promotional thing out of it by being considerate to a countries history, clearly though thats not what Top Gear are about - given their track record.

Edited by coldel

Of course it does, on that basis how was anyone in the TG team supposed to recognise it on that assumption?

Clarkson gave his reasons for taking the Porsche, heartfelt reasons i might add!

If your honestly saying you would have made the assumption re the plate if you had not been told beforehand, i apologise reservedly, but as said elsewhere, what were the plates on the Mustang & Lotus? What were the plates on any of the other TG xmas cars?

From what i can gather they were only made aware once filming (because someone linked the plate), they had a set of plates made to avert the possibility of some action, even that backfired as mentioned elsewhere as some associated that with the sinking of the Bellgrano rather than reading it as pretty much everyone else would!!!!! What they were supposed to do, cancel the whole show, run illegal plates??

Buy something else whilst there, if they took the issue seriously enough, a multi-million pound TV show can afford a £10k replacement car. Its so simple a solution. The just smash the cars up anyway so its not like they are looking to retain any value in the cars.

They could have actually created a really good promotional thing out of it by being considerate to a countries history, clearly though thats not what Top Gear are about - given their track record.

Buy something else whilst there, if they took the issue seriously enough

I agree and they obviously didnt, but your saying it was staged/pre planned.

You would probably find the Argies would still be looking for them on the basis they bought the car with the plate in the first place, no win situation, they tried to avert it with the bell end plates.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and personally i think your reading just way too much into it and jumping on the band wagon as you wouldnt have known just like everyone else on here, each to their own though :)

Edited by Jetpilot

No way can any of that 31 man crew not have noticed the number plate without it being pointed out to them, if they think thats true then they are 31 of the dumbest people in Britain.

Not to mention the number of Argentinian bureaucrats who processed the paperwork that allowed them to film a car with that "offensive-to-them" numberplate... oh, wait.

I find it very easy to believe it was overlooked. Not least of all because the three digit number relates as much to that specific car than it does to the Faulklands conflict (right digits, albeit in the wrong order, but that's just as logical as sticking on another random digit to make the connection in my book). I also maintain utter contempt for "txt spk" so I would never consider FKL to spell Faulklands. At all. Ever.

Argentina use the Falklands as a way of diverting attention away from other serious political issues they have at home. What made me laugh was the sign in the first episode. Talk about a deluded nation.

They invaded first, they got their arses handed to them and they lost. So how they can claim ownership I have no idea.

And their reaction at the end of the second episode just goes to show how ridiculous they are. To get so worked up over a vague number plate.

Yes the sinking of the Belgrano was very sad, but if a country manoeuvres a warship in a time of combat into a combat position, don't expect it to get ignored.

Thats the issue though, at no point were Argentina or the UK at war during the Falklands conflict - it was a conflict not a war, so there were legal agreements in place as to the total exclusion zone around the islands which is where the conflict could only take place - the belgrano was 200km outside that zone and was attacked as it was perceived as a threat. There is evidence to show that the UK extended that zone before the attack but it was not disclosed to Argentina. The UK countered with some intel that showed the belgrano was about to attack so they took pre-emptive action. Its not a clear cut 'we took em on and beat em yeah go us' issue and is the basis for the amount of hatred that still exists in Argentina over it, to a level I am sure none of us can grasp.

I'm not a team America style fck yeah we won type person. I am aware more than most of the intricacy of the conflict. But typing on a tablet tends to lead me to paraphrase down what I want to write. My apologies if it came across that way.

As with many conflicts we fight in, (nothing changes) we went under prepared and under resourced and were very lucky things were not very different.

I don't relish the thought that lives were lost on either side

My frustration is with a political body that is again trying to deflect attention by trying to whip up a nationalist frenzy. And by the looks of that top gear episode they seem to be doing a good job.

It will only ever lead to one thing.... more loss of life

• Like 1