Anyone with a supercharged 350z

stebbs

Hi there,

I'm looking into buying a 350z next year already supercharged. From reading on here I'm looking for one sporting the vortech v3.

Now my question is does anyone have one in the east Midlands area that would give me a passenger ride just so I know if it's the right decision.

Thanks Tom

With all due respect, you're not going to know what the car feels like unless you actually drive one.

Any FI Zed will feel very quick, but the way the power is delivered may not be to your taste. I assume that you're after an SC setup specifically because of the power delivery, any way!

I've got a 205gti turbo and a high spec na kit car, na power doesn't push my buttons. I'd part with the kit car first then the 205 if the 350z was a worthy replacement.

I just want to get a rough idea if it'll have enough horsepower and torque with the car weighing so much to still feel exciting.

Thanks Tom

Edited by stebbs

Depends.

If you spend your life at road legal speeds (ish), then an FI Zed will definitely not feel anywhere near as quick as what you're used to. It'll also be so much heavier that it'll feel like a barge in the corners.

Where big engined cars really start to show off is when you get over the ton, so whereas the 205 and the kit car (which one out of interest?) will start running out of puff near then, the 350Z will just be getting in it's stride. All relative of course, I'm sure that neither of your current cars feels like they're struggling at just 100mph!

A standard 350Z can feel a bit slow, but it's not until you look down that you realise it's putting on speed very quickly. I've never driven an SC 305, but have driven a low power and high power turbocharged 350 but they both didn't feel monstrously quick below 60.

Also, massive kudos for running light cars with big power :thumbs:

• Like 1

Depends.

If you spend your life at road legal speeds (ish), then an FI Zed will definitely not feel anywhere near as quick as what you're used to. It'll also be so much heavier that it'll feel like a barge in the corners.

Where big engined cars really start to show off is when you get over the ton, so whereas the 205 and the kit car (which one out of interest?) will start running out of puff near then, the 350Z will just be getting in it's stride. All relative of course, I'm sure that neither of your current cars feels like they're struggling at just 100mph!

A standard 350Z can feel a bit slow, but it's not until you look down that you realise it's putting on speed very quickly. I've never driven an SC 305, but have driven a low power and high power turbocharged 350 but they both didn't feel monstrously quick below 60.

Also, massive kudos for running light cars with big power :thumbs:

Thanks buddy the kit car is a Stuart Taylor locost aries. Both my cars are good for 130mph that's the lot they just get there rapidly.

I'd like to think It'd feel more nimble than I'm imagining but I'll concentrate on that once I know the power is adequate.

Thanks for the info. Tom

As good as the 350 is in the corners, it's a bit wobbly from the factory and you really need to do a bit to it to get it where I suspect you'd want it. Nothing major (light wheels, camber/toe arms, ARBs, and a good geo) but at the same time even if you've done all of that it's going to feel like a boat compared to either of yours.

It's a sporty GT car, rather than a sports car that can do the GT thing. I loved mine, and I will get another, but I won't pretend that it's a chuckable little thing: That's what I have the MR2 for.

And that doom and gloom aside, if you're after something that is different to what you have and want the big cruiser bruiser, I don't think you'll find anything with more personality or at a more reasonable price than an FI 350Z :)

• Like 1

As good as the 350 is in the corners, it's a bit wobbly from the factory and you really need to do a bit to it to get it where I suspect you'd want it. Nothing major (light wheels, camber/toe arms, ARBs, and a good geo) but at the same time even if you've done all of that it's going to feel like a boat compared to either of yours.

It's a sporty GT car, rather than a sports car that can do the GT thing. I loved mine, and I will get another, but I won't pretend that it's a chuckable little thing: That's what I have the MR2 for.

And that doom and gloom aside, if you're after something that is different to what you have and want the big cruiser bruiser, I don't think you'll find anything with more personality or at a more reasonable price than an FI 350Z :)

Thanks nothing on the suspension list I wouldn't expect to fettle. The price of Japanese performance parts compared to French stuff is bum twitching.

Come on someone volunteer to take me for a drive. Thanks Tom

• Like 1

my last car was a 3000 GTO TT One of the very few last ones built and whilst this gave you a stern kick up the bum when booted, the Zed doesnt due to the lack of turbos. But you know what, this big heavy car gives me more smiles per miles by any other car Ive ever owned. Its got a personallity all of its own and I bet all the other members feel the same. Cant put my finger on it, but it does. :)

my last car was a 3000 GTO TT One of the very few last ones built and whilst this gave you a stern kick up the bum when booted, the Zed doesnt due to the lack of turbos. But you know what, this big heavy car gives me more smiles per miles by any other car Ive ever owned. Its got a personallity all of its own and I bet all the other members feel the same. Cant put my finger on it, but it does. :)

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 😆

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 😆

Another from me, I came from a b16 turbo honda del sol running 296bhp. it weighed around 1100kg, so you can imagine it was pretty quick. however i now have an N/A 350z and i feel alot more comfortable and the power delivery is alot nicer than having to wait until 4800rpm lol.

I got my Z supercharged last spring. It totally changes the car and I'm really happy with it. However I'm more of a track junkie so 400hp that my lightly modified HKS kit gives is enough for me. Power delivery is smooth and just like NA, only more. What you don't get is a big kick to the back seat like with an tuned turbo car.

With that said a V3 on stock block might not last that long. Be prepared to spend some £ if things go wrong...If you track the car or drive hard you will also need an oil cooler and radiator.

So if it doesn't suck up your every penny to buy it, do it. If need to take a loan to buy the car I would forget FI. Testdrive might be dangerous. There is no turning back after that :)

• Like 1

I got my Z supercharged last spring. It totally changes the car and I'm really happy with it. However I'm more of a track junkie so 400hp that my lightly modified HKS kit gives is enough for me. Power delivery is smooth and just like NA, only more. What you don't get is a big kick to the back seat like with an tuned turbo car.

With that said a V3 on stock block might not last that long. Be prepared to spend some £ if things go wrong...If you track the car or drive hard you will also need an oil cooler and radiator.

So if it doesn't suck up your every penny to buy it, do it. If need to take a loan to buy the car I would forget FI. Testdrive might be dangerous. There is no turning back after that :)

Are you forged ?

Hey, I have just bought a supercharged (HKS) Z and also own a Stuart Taylor Aries with Yamaha R1 engine, 495kgs all in with fuel. Going up for sale in the New Year by the way. I have used the kit car mainly for track days at Knockhill for the last 4 years, amazing car, direct, super nimble and a giant killer. The Z feels very quick but not had a chance to really try it out properly yet, will be taking it to Knockhill next year (anyone going next year look for the Azure blue supercharged Z and come over and say Hi) but hope to get a trip to the ring to really try it out. I think it will be more suited to the higher speeds than the twists of Knockhill. Two different animals really and not fair to compare them. Only real issue with the Z is a lot of tramping at the rear which I hope there is a cure for. Looking to sell the kit car to keep the Z long term now, better all round useable car that will still put a smile on your face. I would definately recommend one even after only owning mine for a couple of months and spending half my time offshore not getting to drive it. Plus point for me is the wife loves the Z and hates the kit car and seems to swear a lot and question my parentage when I am scaring her around Knockhill in the kit car.

• Like 1