Le Mans Blue Paint

JoshC

Following on from my recent topic about 370's I've just put down a reserve on the Le Mans Blue GT in BMW Cardiff, just waiting for my insurance claim to settle so I can pick it up, very excited :)

Luckily I got it before it even got to the showroom as it was waiting to go into the body shop for prep so I was even shale to chose the wheel colour (went for BMW ferret grey) and they haven't charged me for the work as they were being refurbished anyway and a few bumper scuffs all re sprayed so hopefully will look brand new :D

Did ask if they would paint the callipers Le Mans blue for me but wanted £40 per corner for that :( So just wondering if there's anywhere I can pick it up in a spray can to do them myself? Seems to be a very difficult colour to find!!

Edited by JoshC

Another quick question relating to this. I've oreded 1 can of Le Mans blue from paints4u now ready to get them sprayed once I pick the car up.

Did ask the guy for some advice over the phone and he said there's no guarantee that the standard aerosol paint will be heat resisatant to a high enough level for the brakes but going to give it a go anyway. He also suggested just keying the factory paint rather than fully rubbing down.

Any advice, firstly on how I should prep them? Will a keying then primer, paint, laquer be okay or not? Also, does anyone know where I can get the right size 'Nissan' stickers to replace them once they've been sprayed?

Cheers! :)

No need to rub down completely, just rough the surface to give a key, I did mine red and put Akebono stickers on as that is what they are

pfhoto3_zpsd79cc6e4.jpg

pfhoto2_zps75cb2a1d.jpg

pfhoto1_zpsbe036f77.jpg

spacers

P1040362_zps474e950c.jpg

badges changed

P1040356_zps5fffdc0f.jpg

plastidip - (didnt last on the front)

photo2_zps6c658c5e.jpg

P1040444_zpsb8fb18b7.jpg

Ark exhaust

photo_zps975e275f.jpg

engine cover painted while i did the calipers

photo1_zps0ba43cff.jpg

P1040502_zpsd88f39b2.jpg

• Like 3

Car looks lovely mate! So did you do the clippers and engine cover with just a regular aerosol can and did you use primer and lawyer before and after?

Looks great with spacers, that'll be my first mod as I've taken the ones off my written off 350!

Car looks lovely mate! So did you do the clippers and engine cover with just a regular aerosol can and did you use primer and lawyer before and after?

Looks great with spacers, that'll be my first mod as I've taken the ones off my written off 350!

roughed the caliper using a green scourer, cleaned and sprayed with hammerite smooth, no primer as the paint is quite thick with multiple thin coats, high gloss so no need for lacquer :thumbs:

roughed the caliper using a green scourer, cleaned and sprayed with hammerite smooth, no primer as the paint is quite thick with multiple thin coats, high gloss so no need for lacquer :thumbs:

I'm gonna be using just a regular aerosol as I couldn't find s decent match to Le mans blue in anything else sadly :( So I'll probe need to use primer and lacquer as its a metallic colour!

I'm gonna be using just a regular aerosol as I couldn't find s decent match to Le mans blue in anything else sadly :( So I'll probe need to use primer and lacquer as its a metallic colour!

I would primer if i was you and use a vht lacquer if poss :thumbs:

I would primer if i was you and use a vht lacquer if poss :thumbs:

Cool, will give it s try and see how it goes! Cheers mate :)

• Like 1

Just seen your post as I was replying Lee! Thanks for the pics, they do look great! Same question to you, how did you prep etc?

Where are the 'bona' stickers from? :L

Falcon Performance bodyshop did them, sand down prep, prime, paint & lacquer in the oven :thumbs:

The stickers are off the internet and I just used the 'A' and repositioned it. http://ccdecals.com £5.99 :thumbs:

Edited by R35LEE

Just seen your post as I was replying Lee! Thanks for the pics, they do look great! Same question to you, how did you prep etc?

Where are the 'bona' stickers from? :L

Falcon Performance bodyshop did them, sand down prep, prime, paint & lacquer in the oven :thumbs:

The stickers are off the internet and I just used the 'A' and repositioned it. http://ccdecals.com £5.99 :thumbs:

Brilliant, cheers mate! Will get some ordered off there! May leave the rear one's blank mind :lol:

• Like 1

Which paint did you use? :)

Which paint did you use? :)

Red hammerite smooth ;) as the pics, were black/dark grey originally

• Like 1

They look great in red! I have just done these for a friends car.... Akebono wouldnt fit on the rear calipers so now it says Bona (boner) because my mental age is still 12... maybe 13 at a push :lol::thumbs:

IMG_20141209_140008_zpsumijvkzl.jpg

DSC_0499_zpsvvb1l4ko.jpg

IMG_20141209_140210_zpsgz5dly1n.jpg

Meant to ask mate, do you know what size these are?