Advice needed: building a pair of 350Z endurance racers

ShorsecRacingBen

Hello all, I'm a brand new member of the forum having seen so many links here from 350Z discussions around then net. This seems like the place to be!

I'm a member of a small privateers racing team and we're in the process of planning our 2015 endurance racing season. The decision has been made to buy, prepare and race two 350Zs in a 7 race UK endurance series. This is us:

http://www.shorsec.c...of-remembrance/

To add a little spice to things we are a racing team with a specific aim: we work exclusively with the charity Mission Motorsport (www.missionmotorsport.org). MM is a charity some of you may know, they utilise all areas of motorsport to help in the rehabilitation and retraining of wounded service personnel.

As part of our work with the charity we will be inviting 2 MM beneficiaries to join us as drivers (each car has 3 drivers for endurance racing). In addition we'll be using MM beneficiaries to help in the race prepping of both cars and then a whole host of jobs: mechanics on race weekends, race managers, logistics/support roles, charity ambassadors etc. This has some bearing on the questions I've asked below because we want to buy two pure road cars, not something that has already been race or track day prepared. A big part of this is the inclusive and team lead build up to a race season - simply put we want the beneficiaries to assist in turning two boggo road cars into full on endurance weapons from the very start.

So questions specifically on the 350Z:

The class we'll be running in is pretty simple. Cars must have a maximum of 360bhp at the flywheel, be 2 wheel drive, must weigh a minimum of 1200kg and will have to use an MSA approved control tyre (likely a Michelin or Bridgestone). Nearly everything else is open up to and including aero, forced induction, silhouette etc.

Q1) What is a sensible power figure to achieve from the NA engine (i.e. without adding SC or turbo)? Endurance racing is first and foremost about reliability so keeping the car normally aspirated would be a good step in this direction.

Q2) What sort of weight figure is achievable? The car would be pared back to nothing - all interior and sound deadening gone, a single light carbon racing seat installed, multi point FIA welded cage, all aircon out, all non-necessary electrics out, all glass bar the screen replaced with lexan, possibly light weight composite panels etc.

Q3) Electrics - obviously with the airbags, stereo, a/c etc all taken out this can mess with a modern car's ECU. Has anyone had any experience of this? Would a bespoke loom be required or could we delicately hack away at the existing loom? Obviously don't want to end up with a dash full of lights or, even worse, running issues.

Q4) Catalytic Converters & exhaust - these cars will be pure race cars and not road registered. Does removing the cats cause issues with back pressure or are they easy to just bin? We need the cars to be below 105dB at 3/4 revs, that's the only consideration.

Q5) Suspension & dampers - is there a proven race package available? Interested to know if anyone sells kits.

Those are the immediate questions, we'd really appreciate any advice on any or all of the above.

Thanks gents, this is a fantastic forum and resource you've put together here.

Ben

Edited by ShorsecRacingBen

Hi Ben,

Great idea, hopefully all the members here will get behind this too :)

In answer to your questions:

1. On an early DE engine car (which is where I presume budget will dictate you start from), with the right bits you might get as high as 310bhp, but anything over that you're going to struggle without FI. Any of the SC or FI setups could see you comfortably at 360, although it's not impossible that you'd get more than that on even the most basic setup. If you could get a later HR engined car then I reckon you'd get to nearer 340. Of course with either engine you could go crazy with cams etc but then you may sacrifice reliability.

2. You could get down to close to 1200kg I should think, if you're going for a full strip. Couple of chaps on here would have a better idea than me (MrLizard, Bizz, Keyser, Zmanalex?)

3. I believe you can safely chop away the bits you don't want, the 350Z isn't a canbus setup so go crazy!

4. On a road car you'd lose a little torque with a decat setup and NA, but on a race car you'll be at high rpms so no probs there. With decats and a straight through exhaust you'd be over the limit, so a single in-line carbon bike siliencer should work, or anything like that you'd wish to use.

5. No kits that I'm aware of. Personally I'd go with the KW V3 springs and dampers, Eibach ARBS, and some camber/toe correction arms too. Bang for buck, I don't think there's much out there to touch that setup even if you started spending silly money. Proven and reliable, too.

• Like 2

Wow, busy forum, thanks to you all!

Some of our early worries/concerns have already been addressed there, especially the electrics issues. I am mainly a historic rally driver so not really used to anything built from the 80's onwards.

Thanks too for the offer of ongoing advice and support with parts and so forth, I know we'll be taking some/all of you up on that. It's hugely appreciated.

I'll be sure to put up a build thread for the two cars once they're bought and a workshop has been set up. The team's HQ is in Hereford so that's where the magic will be happening!

Timescale is that the cars will likely be bought in December/January and prep to start immediately. First race is mid April so time will be against us but we all work well under pressure and when there is a clear target.

Ben

@Tricky: It does? Well, there you go, I never knew that. Every day's a school day!

Unfortunately yes, and it can be a PITA, did a lot of cross referencing when I was playing with the electrics of the 350GT, and they share very similar circuitry, because PDM and several other control modules are tied into the ECU CANbus system it throws wobbler's if lights etc are disconnected.