driving noise, puzzled! :S

Garyt350z

Hey, I notice a noise as if am driving on the white lines on the road, tar surface is average to good on most roads I drive so I guess I can eliminate that! Nothing else has changed as far as tyres or rims goes! Fitted new superpro bushes and banana arms but also got her lined the next day so no pull or vibration in the steering! It's not constant either, is like 2 secs of 'huming' noise, then normal for a couple secs and so on! It's really bugging me! Any advice or ppl experienced the same? I guess if it's a bearing then it would be constant huming?

Yeah it changes with speed, just like if u drive slow over rough tar or fast over rough tar if ya get me? A bit like when coming into roundabouts and u have them strips of rough tar to aid braking! But the surface am on is all the same type and batch of tar, no resurfacing visible. It's really only after I got the wheels lined! Would it be the new bushes causing it?

Yeah it changes with speed, just like if u drive slow over rough tar or fast over rough tar if ya get me? A bit like when coming into roundabouts and u have them strips of rough tar to aid braking! But the surface am on is all the same type and batch of tar, no resurfacing visible. It's really only after I got the wheels lined! Would it be the new bushes causing it?

you didnt ansswer my question.... :)

tonight, go for a drive at 30, 40, 50mph and see if the noise-pause-noise increases. Then dip the clutch, coast in neutral and see if it still makes the noise while traveling at speed.

does it then get any louder, while traveling at speed, if you turn the wheel left or right?

Rite...ok...it was kinda tough determining when and where the noise was most noticeable. At lower speeds it's not as noticeable, with clutch it makes no difference. But from 50mph upwards it's more clear to hear and gets louder the faster I go. Like a throb/humming pulsing on and off! It has be baffled! I can usually notice a bearing, a cv joint and warpped disc the minute it's starts goin but this is like no other sensation/problem I've had before! :( it's just pure road noise but the fact it's not constant then I dunno what the cause it.

Sounds like something in the tread of a tyre to me. You have had them off and checked no stones or foreign objects anywhere?

I had it once and it was actually a 13mm bolt that had gone right through and embedded into one of the tread blocks, wasn't quite flush and made this type of noise and feel.

Rite, bit more info, which kinda leads to the fault...hopefully. Although it occurs on straight line driving at all speeds and with clutch in. It's more prominent when I drive as if I was drunk, with a line of imaginary cones, snaking left and right. Swerving right the noise Is there and left its away! Is that a bearing then? Passenger side?

that sounds very much like a wheel bearing to me. when one went recently on an old bmw we have, it started as a slow pulsing, humming/whirring noise when driving in a straight line... kind of whhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrr.............wwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrr........ wwwwwwhhhhhhrrrrrrr.... When we got the car on a ramp, there was very visible play on the wheel - left to right and top to bottom it had a good 5mm of play when rocked.

99% sure that will be your wheel bearing mate. I had the same symptoms on mine recently and that was the case.

Assuming it's a front one, jack up the car and spin each wheel by hand. It should be pretty obvious which side it is as it should feel rougher when turning.

Cougar store will sort you out a replacement bearing. It comes as a unit so it's very easy to swap out on your drive. Bolt of bolt on job. :)