Resetting ecu via battery... Cant pedal dance

Jay.1r

Hi guys, tried for the last hour to do the pedal dance and it is clear that I have no rhythm, so I was wondering if the ecu would reset via disconnecting the batterys earth and leaving for a few hours? i dont mind the radio resetting, aslong as I dont have to dance anymore

If you disconnect the battery for a good length of time I believe it should reset the ECU.

When I first tried the pedal dance I couldn't do it either, ...even with a clock that had the seconds hands for added help with timing. In the end though I got it down to an art form and just counted in my head.

I think where some people go wrong or maybe it was just me is step 2 whereby you try to do step 2a & 2b five times within 5 seconds.

2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

It doesn't have to be 5 seconds elapsed time just done within 5 seconds. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway good luck with it whichever way you go. :thumbs:

If you disconnect the battery for a few seconds and reconnect, it will reset short term fuel and knock tables, but AFAIK it will not clear stored error codes, these are retained until cleared with suitable interface/software.

Ahh, so it wouldn't clear the EML then Tricky if that's what he's trying to do.

Good to know ~ glad I can dance now. :D;)

No it's not but doesn't require hours but minutes should do it. The key step is to discharge the ECU capacitors.

So after a few minutes of disconnecting the earth, you depress the brakes fully a few times, this discharges the capacitors then reconnect the battery earth and the ECU will reset and cancelled any emission related EML if it's a transient fault.

Wrt decats it will come back. The solution is to get the O2 sensor foolers. Zmanalex has this in stock ready to go!

The capacitors in the ECU are so small a value they will discharge themselves in less than a minute, as the ECU has its own earth, also the if you disconnect the battery negative, pressing the brake will not earth the system, CELs are stored on a separate flash memory and will be retained until they are erased by diagnostic software or pedal dance.

The capacitors in the ECU are so small a value they will discharge themselves in less than a minute, as the ECU has its own earth, also the if you disconnect the battery negative, pressing the brake will not earth the system, CELs are stored on a separate flash memory and will be retained until they are erased by diagnostic software or pedal dance.

Disagree.

Il run it with the lights on till January then if it wont hurt the engine, I work

Shifts so the car isnt used that regularly 4 times every 10 days mostly in this weather, thanks to all of you, put my mind at ease!

One thing worth noting Jay is that with the EML already on if another problem occurs you're not going to realize unless you read the code & spot a new error code.

You can buy code readers cheap enough from eBay and I believe some of them allow you to also clear the codes. That way you can check it regularly just to make sure it is on just because of the known O2 sensor error or whether something else has occurred.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerful-D900-CANSCAN-OBD2-Live-PCM-Data-Code-Reader-Scanner-2012-Version-UK-G-/151465332045?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2344098d4d

I don't have one of these myself but always planned on getting one, it's just other things popped up like supercharging. :lol: Take a look on eBay and you might find one even cheaper than the one I linked. ;)

• Like 1

Il run it with the lights on till January then if it wont hurt the engine, I work

Shifts so the car isnt used that regularly 4 times every 10 days mostly in this weather, thanks to all of you, put my mind at ease!

One thing worth noting Jay is that with the EML already on if another problem occurs you're not going to realize unless you read the code & spot a new error code.

You can buy code readers cheap enough from eBay and I believe some of them allow you to also clear the codes. That way you can check it regularly just to make sure it is on just because of the known O2 sensor error or whether something else has occurred.

Link: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2344098d4d

I don't have one of these myself but always planned on getting one, it's just other things popped up like supercharging. :lol: Take a look on eBay and you might find one even cheaper than the one I linked. ;)

Good point! which I forgot, :blush: as I used to run ECU data-scan on mine so I was always aware of any new faults.

Get a bluetooth OBD11 connector from ebay for a few quid and an app for android called carista its free and reports on codes/pending codes and resets all codes in seconds.

My Invidia and sports cats throws an EML due to the O2 sensors whenever I have to queue or run at low revs before the cats are up to temp.

carista turns the EML off even when the car is running.

best £8 I spent was on the OBD module.