350z ('03) Brembo replacement brake discs/pads

Salman

Hi. I need to replace all 4 brake disc and pads on my 53 reg 350z coupe (I believe it is the UK Track model as it has Brembo brakes, leather, BOSE stereo, ESP button). The Nissan dealership (Ancaster) says it will cost me £1800 to replace with like-for-like Nissan-supplied discs/pads including labour which seems quote expensive.

A garage in London (Mr. Clutch chain of garages) said they will do parts and labour for £700 all in, but they will use ADL Blueprint discs/pads. The guy said he may consider Pagit but he was really pushing me towards ADL Blueprint. I don't know if ADL Blueprint are any good, and whether they are even Brembo spec. The guy said the only difference between Brembo and non-Brembo systems on the 350Z is the Brembo callipers, no difference between discs or pads - somehow that doesn't sound right! I asked both garages if they will consider fitting pads/discs of my choice - both said they will but if the brakes squeal after fitting they will turn me away.

I use the car on the road, not track, but want good brakes as I do like putting the foot down sometimes...within speed limits of course :))). So something at least as good as my stock Brembos. I imagine you get what you pay for but its not clear if something way cheaper would be way inferior. For example I can get 4 x Pagid "Brembo system" discs/pads from Euro Car Parts for £285. Or I could get the Brembo-branded set for around £850 [brembo part numbers 09.8485.11 (front disc), 09.7356.21 (rear disc), P56047 (front pad) and P56048 (rear pad)]. Would there be a big difference in performance/longevity?

I would be grateful if anyone can answer (some of) the questions below:

1. How do ADL Blueprint and Pagit discs/pads compare to the stock Nissan Brembo discs/pads? Are ADL Blueprint or Pagit even the right discs/pads for the Brembo system?

2. Are my Nissan stock discs/pads actually made by Brembo (my dealership will not tell me)? If so, would the Brembo branded ones for the 350Z be an exact replacement?

3. Should I consider something else? DBA T3s with Ferodo DS2500 or Hawk Ceramic pads seem to be recommended on forums and cost less than Brembo...

4. Does anyone know of any garages near London (happy to travel if just outside London) who will fit custom brakes AND take ownership of the quality of their work?

Thanks

Sal

Hi Sal,

I dont know specifics but I would be very surprised if the Bremo and Non-Brembo calipers use the same pads, discs maybe pads probably not!

IMHO I would never skimp on replacing brake parts.

Nissan pads could well be the Brembo disc/pads but re-branded and with the prize marked up. Personally if you wanted to stick to OEM I'd look for Brembo discs and pads for your Bremo calipers.

If you were looking for an upgrade I've been recommended both Stoptech and DBA discs and Hawk ceramic pads. In fact I am having some Hawk ceramic pads fitted next week.

When its time for the discs to be done ill probably be going with DBA.

Lastly, depending on where in London, your best bets for garages are probably Japex (Kings Langley) or Abbey Motorsport (Oxted) both are just outside the M25 so not sure if thats too far but I can highly recommend both!

I had DBA discs and Hawk pads fitted on my 07 HR and they run perfect on Brembo calipers. Got them from Ewan at. Clarke motor sports.Good price and next day delivery. Fitted by Falcon..top garage up here in the North East.

• Like 1

longsh07, mrt, veeg33, thank you for your input. I am really leaning towards the DBA option, most likely with the Hawk pads, though I will check out Stoptech discs as well as they seem to be cheaper.

longsh07, a special thank you for recommending Abbey Motorsport - Oxted is literally half an hour drive and very easy for me to get to.

• Like 2

Please take you car to an Independent Garage recommended on her..Please NOT Mr Clutch..!!

Just Google the problems with them.

I also live in London and will only take my car to Ross at Japex who come highly recommended on here.

http://www.japexperformance.co.uk/

But your money, you Zed and your choice. :thumbs:

Oh ..and Welcome to the Forum .. :welcome:

Edited by WhackyWill

Thanks for the welcome WhackyWill. I think its safe to say I am not going to use the words "Mr." and "Clutch" in the same sentence again if I have any respect for my Z :blush:.

And thanks for recommending Japex.

Good guys at Japex, Dont just take my word for it..

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/33659-feedback-for-japex/

Where in London are you ?. :thumbs:

Edited by WhackyWill

Pagid discs are a decent oem replacement you can get them from eurocarparts they have the 50% offer on at the moment so £61.20 each per front and £53.94 each per rear. I'm sure the traders on here like Clark motosport, cougar store etc will be able to compete on price.

There is also Sly at Kaiser motors, just the other side of the water, hes a great guy, and knows his stuff. He fitted my coilovers and rear camber arms, very happy with his service,though you cant go wrong with Abbey or Japex.

If you have patience,id strongly suggest doing your discs and pads yourself, its not complicated, and will save you some cash. Though if you do take it to a garage, id suggest you get fresh fluid put in at the same time, as that will make a difference too. Also worth a mention, if you are getting stuff from one of the traders on here, is the anti squel shims, as if they are anything like mine, need replacing.

Finally got my brake discs/pads/hoses done (DBA T2 / Hawks Ceramics / Hosetechnik). Massive thanks to Ross at Japex in Kings Langley. :thumbs:

While I was getting the brakes replaced also got some other bits and bobs done. Quality job for a fraction of what my Nissan garage charges. My exhaust is next - goes without saying I will be going back to Japex.

Anyone thinking about the brake combo I used, I have experienced no issues (noise, dust etc.) and the brakes are sweet.