carputer well sort of :-)

mlombard

Hello folks with the headphone jack hack done to my Bose head unit

thanks to the fantastic guide here I have my sights set a little higher. I am looking at using an old phone as a carputer.

What I will do is load this app as the skin. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=spinninghead.carhome&hl=en

Then bypass the battery hooking the phone (galaxy s2 or 3) to a switched 12 v supply .

I can then add a hard drive using the devices in built micro usb and extend this to the behind seat cubby.

I am looking at housing it in a custom frame ( cf wrapped mdf) and placing in thedash cubby , hooking up the headphone jack and that's it.

As a result I will have :

Nav

Music

Videos

Touch screen

Costs maybe £70 all in

What do you think good or bad idea? I have most of the parts so if the consensus is good I will get building :-)

Main concern I would have is the size of the screen.

S2/3 aren't big screens, and if you're gonna be faffing around trying to start a music app or change a track whilst driving it's going to be a hazard.

Yeah to be honest I have my phone up there at the moment its 5 inch and using a music app its nice and big. The buttons all enlarged far bigger than the Bose units( about the size of the big round button on the Bose unit). but yeah you wouldn't want to be working through sub menus so a driving skin is a must.

Perhaps I could use a larger phone or small tablet know the s2 is a 4.2 inch screen so could get a cheap 5 inch device using the drive app above .

Why not use a phablet? Some thing like the Ulefone U7 U69, it has a 7 inch screen and a good spec.

I fitted one of these.

Perfect fit to replace oem satnav

This looks great where did you get this one ?

Ooh and did you find it hard to fit the 7 inch tablet

Just get a small tablet and a flip case then hold the thing onto the cubby hole via a big bit of elastic. Quick simple easy to remove. I've also got an ipod classic mounted in the cubby hole

IMG_2069_zps0566fa95.jpg

IMG_1598_zps972a5175.jpg

RIMG1226_zps7386a29c.jpg

Looks good was thinking of a permanent install that I could hide nice idea though

Why not use a phablet? Some thing like the Ulefone U7 U69, it has a 7 inch screen and a good spec.

I fitted one of these.

Perfect fit to replace oem satnav

This looks great where did you get this one ?

Ooh and did you find it hard to fit the 7 inch tablet

I bought mine from 1949deal.com; they seem to be out of stock. Aliexpress have a few sellers:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20141109092924&SearchText=ulefone+u7

It was really easy to fit.

i installed upside down so that the power button is accessible by removing the oem satnav controls.

I use e-robot to detect when it gets power; this turns bluetooth/GPS/data etc on and then turns them off and forces deep-sleep when power goes off

20140504_170059_1.jpg

20140504_170131_1.jpg

20140504_175125_1.jpg