Test drive fine, driving home....

Pritchard

34,000miles 2004 model.

nice. shiney. engine quiet. all the other bits n stuff looked good (iv looked at a few. and this one was the best id seen by far. )

even drivers door was almost scratchfree.

anyway.

i did my 350z-uk research before i parted with any cash. checked for most common faults:

like clutch being replaced (seems to vary)

inside drivers door

reversing driveshaft knock

cd skipping (hard to test)

etc etc.

anyway. drove lovely. nice and quiet.

150miles later when i got home. heard a lovely noise - like a spade being dragged up a gravel driveway.

its the clutch/box.

I have searched, and this too is a common fault. but this does seem overly loud.

1-2,000 rpm in everygear, loud resonating sound under load. (clutch fully engaged)

standstil, rattle with foot off clutch pedal, quiet when pressed.

Looking through the history, clutch was done 6 months ago (less than 2,000 miles).

How loud is ''normal''. its loud enough that i feel embarrased at the noise already.

on another note... i also have the clicking driveshaft in reverse! i tested for this on test drive but didnt hear it. now i do.

ooops.

Pritchard

Post #2

They can be pretty loud mate .... Especially after a long journey .... I had a 57 plate when it was 2 years old and was still in warranty .... The noise scared me so much I went to Winchester nissan ( who were brilliant ) and they rebuilt the gearbox for me ( free of charge) . Got the car back .... Made the same noise !! Didn't worry after that :)

I'm on my second zed now ( 08 plate ) with only 27k on it .... Exactly the same

• Like 1

cool.

do you remember that film Matilda, when that dogey dealer put sawdust in the engine to make it run ''as sweet as a nut'' for 100 miles. lol. i had visions of that.

cool, i wont panic. :-) speeds up the exhaust purchase, need to drown out that noise ;)

cheers

As said it is a trait of the zed and can be worse with a solid flywheel ..... But without hearing it its hard to say if you have a problem or not . If it still worries you just get it checked out at a decent garage and hopefully they can put your mind at ease :)

It's always a worrying time when you buy a second hand car for the first few k .... Freaks me right out if I hear something odd going on !

Yep single mass fly is the culprit. The bucket of nails in a tumbledryer sound between 1-2K rpm appears to be perfectly normal and not anything to worry about (I know it sounds broken)!

I was astounded when I went from DMF to SMF :scare: - even using an expensive non-eBay Competition Clutch clutch/fly. Try to keep the revs over 2k and avoid lugging. Single mass clutch/fly is a nicer drive when flowing, just a pig at low speed/rpm. :thumbs: