Auto wipers enlighten me!

coyoteboy

So I've been out for the first time in rain (scary, not sure the cheap tyres (Delinte D7) the previous owner put on should be rated for wet weather at all!) And found my auto wipers don't appear to work. Is there a trick, before I head to a dealer? They wipe once when switched to auto but then never wipe again. That's not strictly true, they have wiped out of the blue in the fog once but it was one wipe. Torrential rain doesn't trigger them and since there's no intermittent option it's bloody annoying in light rain.

Edited by coyoteboy

As above, the sensor has to be rock solid on the screen to work.

Had a mate with a watering can on mine and tried always to get them to work. (on a 9 month old car)

Back to the dealer and I think they glued on a new one. Worked fine after that.

have to say, what on earth is a 'Delinte D7'? I mean, I've heard of most brands of tyre, even the terrible ones, but have never heard of Delinte before! suggest immediate removal, especially now that cold and wet weather is coming!

Bet there is a hell of a lot of google'ing going on right now. (I'm going too) :blush::lol:

First to find them..............??? :lol:

Yeah, apparently a US "budget performance" tyre. However I suspect they've never seen a corner in their life and certainly don't do wet. Like 4th gear spin the wheels in the wet, and "butt puckering" at 50 on an NSL in the wet. Touch the gas mid-corner and I'm sideways if it's just started raining.

http://www.delintetires.com/

OK, it's distinctly possible the screen has been replaced but I'm not aware of it. I'll have a look into that tonight. Do the covers come off easily or will I break stuff on the way (not lazy, just not near the car just now)?

Edited by coyoteboy

Where was your 370 first registered from new, as it does seem to have some unusual features given your posts to date?

I ask that as I have seen and driven quite a few 370's and never come across one without the variable intermittent wiper speed as posted in the vid above.

Perhaps some pics of your car, inside and out, might help us to help you.

Edit:

Kinda of wondering it was first registered in Germany by a UK armed forces person (the tyres) knowing there are differing specs for countries around the world

anupu5um.jpg

As you can see, no intermittent except for rear wiper. Rear wiper intermittency responds to the interval twist as expected but there's no stalk position for front intermittent, only auto.

Car was first registered as new with a Birmingham plate, nothing stands out in the v5 or vehicle checks I did. Hmm

Edited by coyoteboy

Not a Zed but my automatic wipers don't seem that brilliant either and my car is brand new :dry: They worked ok for the first week but since then I find myself willing them to come on but having to wait until I can barely see through the screen until they finally decide to clear it. I have got an intermittent option though.

Nah I've tried it in max, no wipey for 5 minutes in drizzle. And if it's auto it should not be affected by the intermittency setting, surely?

Auto/intermittent are the same thing - the explanation how it works is in (1) on the handbook page I posted ^^^.

Auto and intermittent are not the same. One uses a rain sensor in the windscreen (which i have,) and has auto on the stick and is not speed sensitive, the other is a dumb or semi dumb (speed sensitive) wipe at intervals. Plus that manual page doesn't even resemble my wiper stalk and is missing the rear wiping. My stalk specifically links only the rear wiping to the intermittent function in its diagrams on the stalk

When I mentioned the auto/intermittent function they are one and the same in terms of what is on the stalk and what is on the page. The handbook page I attached above was from a 2011 version and the book still does not mention the rear wiper exists anyway, like you said :lol:.

The windscreen sensor decides, if you have the setting on auto/intermittment switched on, when to kick the wipers on and the timing can be calibrated by Nissan, or possibly the sensor can play up so as not to work as you might expect and that would be a replacement job.

anupu5um.jpg

Looking at your pic above, when you turn the dial with the graduations on (in the middle of the stalk) that detrmines the wiper frequencey when it is on the auto/intermittent setting - yes? To its right the single marking and the 3 options including OFF relate solely to the rear wiper operation.

But has your car got the Sat Nav - seeing the note in (1) on the page I posted, as that does say the speed on auto/intermittent does not vary on those cars without it?

I getcha! :)

If I turn the rear wiper to int, the interval ring changes the rear int interval correctly. If I knock the front down to auto it wipes once (to clear the sensor, same as my pug) then sits and does nothing, even when the rear is happily wiping away. If, on the off-chance the sensor does trigger an auto wipe, the rear goes with it regardless of int setting. It's as though the sensor over-rides the intermittent interval and since it's saying "dry" it never wipes the front, but the rear ignores it.

No sat nav.

Edited by coyoteboy