Desirability - Worries / Jealousy etc

KS2006

Hi,

As I grow nearer to a potential purchase I wonder. Does the 350Z have an known issues of being targetted to be stolen? I tried to find that government list of car ratings but failed miserable. The insurance on the car seems reasonable which tends to suggest its not that bad a car to own.

Am I just paranoid? I look around the area I live (CV postcode don't chuckle - not bad but not posh) looking at other cars and I see plenty of Audi's, BMW's that probably cost more than the Z and think they are more nickable less obvious etc.

Does anyone care about a Z - hey its only a Nissan ;)

Am I more likely to find a whacking big scratch on it rather than 3 burly blokes (not sure where number 3 would sit) breaking my door in to have the car away?

In the last 12 months I've found myself completely away from wanting a hot hatch purely for the seemingly increasing amounts of breakin's / violence for ST's R32 etc that put me right off. And they are obviously a hell of a lot less stylish than 350Z, S2000,Z4 etc.

I guess you can do norty things in a hatchback as opposed to a 2 seater.

My folks tell me if I worry or have concerns like this all I'm going to end up with is more grey hairs and a healthy bank balance - but whats the point of working your bits off.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts/views are on this and in general.

We have a large number of owners on here, and instances of theft being reported are quite rare indeed, in fact I cant remember the last one.

Instances of malicious vandalism however have been known. There have been a few (although still fairly rare thankfully) reports of cars being keyed by scum of the earth.

Unfortunately todays society seems to have bred a generation that contains more than the normal level of mindless idiots that would rather vandalise a nice car than save up and buy one of their own.

There has to be a dollop of common sense used when owning a Z, just like any other nice looking sports car, regardless of the badge addorning its bonnet. Busy car parks, superkarkets, town centres full of drunken kids, known dodgy/rough areas etc. Park a Z in any of those for a while or overnight and you may be increasing your chances of high blood pressure when you return to it.

If you are concerned about it, secure it.....anti-smash window film, Cat1 alarm with extra immobilisers, steering wheel lock, tracker etc. It will cost a bit of money but from previous experience, the money on the security is worth it for a decent nights sleep! Either that or get a garage! :thumbs:

I bought mine from new last year, and it's only just turned one year old.. I live in a busy town in the South East and thankfully I've not had any major issues so far.

The only problem I've had was some sad person pinched my Z value caps when i parked in a multi-story... that'll teach me to buy non-essential 'bling' :) .. so i've stuck some boring black halfrauds specials on instead.

Some great advice from the guys here is that if you do bling up the Zed, then use them for meets / shows only, and put the boring accessories on for day-to-day use.

Jim

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Its not like its going to be parked on the road overnight - its will not be garaged but will be behind big gates and not visible from the street. Will most likely get one of those posts fitted behind the car when its parked up. An extra couple of minutes in a morning is nothing for a bit of extra security.

Need to get a car cover or one of those folding mini car garages - maybe I'll have more trouble from the local pigeons and their atomic poop!!! Especially with Nissans paintwork ;)

I think I will deffo get disklok thingy for sure. Does the Z have alarm as standard or is it just imoboliser?

Cheers

I can only think of one stolen in my two and a half years on the forums, so it doesn't seem to be a major target. :thumbs:

Generally, its as prone to vandalism as any car. I've had mine keyed but then my neighbour has had his Focus keyed so its not down to the car. Most people treat it with more respect and fondness than you would get with a Beemer or Porsche - less jealousy/prejudice towards a Datsun!

Don't be put off! :)

PS Don't bother with a car cover unless you are leaving it on for weeks/months etc. Unless the car is spotless every time you put it on you'll just end up scratching it with dirt and grit.

I leave mine pretty much anywhere. I have friends & family who live in some of the worst parts of the area & I have quite often left my car outside. It draws a crowd occasionally but people seem to be genuinley interested in the car rather than damaging it

Someone just nicked the '3' from my 350z badge on the rear :(

It's been keyed down one side as well :(

There's also a small dent / scratch in the side just under one of the brake lights, that just looks like a small kid fell into it with their bike handlebars though

Sorry to hear that mate. :(

Like I said though, that sort of sh1t happens to average motors as well as Zeds. The only place I've baulked at taking the Zed was to see a client in Toxteth.

There's also a small dent / scratch in the side just under one of the brake lights, that just looks like a small kid fell into it with their bike handlebars though

Damn, thats sounds terrible :surrender:

Worst place i've took the lambo was the place I parked it when i went to Anfield a couple of weeks ago :blush:

Worst place i've took the lambo was the place I parked it when i went to Anfield a couple of weeks ago :blush:

I had a Puma broken into whilst I was at the match - that's verging on lunacy! :scare:

I had a Puma broken into whilst I was at the match - that's verging on lunacy! :scare:

Thats what you get for driving a Puma :p

Only place I really had any hating aimed at the last Z was a Maccy D's car park on the A127 just before Basildon, car full of boys didn't like it and threw their pickle on the car.

i hope you smacked their bottoms................. :boxing::angry:

Unfortunately I didn't catch them doing it. It was a case of me going into Maccy's, having a gut feeling and going outside, I walked around the car and saw the passenger side covered in pickle.

The zed in my opinion is the most under-rated sport car in this category and as such it attract little or no hate/envy/appeal to theft.

The Nissan anti-theft systems while it is not all bells and whistles it performs as well as any competitor and the only way they are going to nick it is by nicking your keys... but since they are not a "volume market" they do not attract the effort of b@st@rd thiefs. (it is more profitable to go for imprezzas etc and older performance cars... sold in big volumes...)

and due to the limited number on the road they are not the most easy to disguise from police... so i am pretty sure this has to be one of the best bets for a sports car in this category.

The car is impressive to look it is impressive to drive , but really a bit of a dog to steal and sell onwards ( whole or by parts)

As for envy attacks, as you mentioned while it is great car, the badge makes it a "car for the people" , and it is not pretentious in any way...

The biggest issue i have got is with a neighbour a "premium german" brand car and since my car turned up he seems determined to prove to me how much better his car is(overtaking in 20mph areas, cutting me up a couple of times etc....) and to make access to my garage port as difficult as possible

SO I think i get more grief from people trying to prove to me that their "more" expensive car is more worthy of the road I drive on, ...

just a beatiful car...no one slags a beatifull girl-next-door-blond (only another bitching blonde... :p)

The biggest issue i have got is with a neighbour a "premium german" brand car and since my car turned up he seems determined to prove to me how much better his car is(overtaking in 20mph areas, cutting me up a couple of times etc....) and to make access to my garage port as difficult as possible

SO I think i get more grief from people trying to prove to me that their "more" expensive car is more worthy of the road I drive on, ...

:lol: I have exactly the same thing with a chap next door to me! He has got a new TT and thought he was the muts nuts, painfully revving it all the time......well that was until I got the Z out the garage about a week after he has moved in!! He seems to have now developed a complex about having his car on the drive when the Z is out!! :lol:

:lol: I have exactly the same thing with a chap next door to me! He has got a new TT and thought he was the muts nuts, painfully revving it all the time......well that was until I got the Z out the garage about a week after he has moved in!! He seems to have now developed a complex about having his car on the drive when the Z is out!! :lol:

Nice one :lol: