Help Floppy Clutch Pedal

keithvmx1200

A few months ago I bought a 350Z from a dealer but after three weeks of ownership I went to overtake a car and had my foot down hard when the clutch pedal went all floppy and flopped to the floor and there was a horrible burning smell but after a few seconds the pedal returned to normal and drove normally until I accelerated really hard so I assumed the clutch was worn and to cut a very long story short I took the car back to the dealer and got my money back thanks to trading standards. I was put off the 350z because of this as I was told by Nissan dealer not only would I have needed new clutch + flywheel and with labor charges would cost £2500.

To bring you up to date I got the urge for another 350Z and looked on all for sale sites for one and found a really nice one but on asking the owner if he had any problems with the clutch he told me that he had experienced the clutch pedal flopping and he thought it had been a worn clutch but here is the interesting bit when he took it to his mechanic and not a Nissan dealer he was told that the problem was the hydrolic fluid and he said that once that was changed the clutch worked perfectly. I was a bit skeptical about that and did not buy the car but have any members come across this problem as I would love to own a 350Z again.

Regards Keith

Common issue Keith on the DE.

Fresh fluid, braided line and new external slave cyl will fix the fault.

Alex. :)

Thank you Legend I had never heard of anything like it before and surprised Nissan of Gloucester did not know about it. I will now get back in touch with the dealer who sold me the car and see if he had put a new clutch in the car like he said he was going to do before he sold it on. I am so angry that I got my money back on the car because I thought I was facing a £2500 bill.

Regards Keith

My car was a 2008 so would it have been a HR engine. I think I remember Nissan of Gloucester saying the clutch and flywheel were more expensive because it was a HR engine. I guess the HR engine suffered from floppy clutch pedal as well. I do wonder how many clutches were replaced by Nissan of Gloucester when all that was needed was Fresh fluid, braided line and new external slave cyl .

My car was a 2008 so would it have been a HR engine. I think I remember Nissan of Gloucester saying the clutch and flywheel were more expensive because it was a HR engine. I guess the HR engine suffered from floppy clutch pedal as well. I do wonder how many clutches were replaced by Nissan of Gloucester when all that was needed was Fresh fluid, braided line and new external slave cyl .

this is not isolated to the zed, I know of a few cars this happening to, I know it is common on the focus Rs (ford produced a revised master cyl but there was no recall)

Edited by GIXXERUK

Clutch slave cylinder on HRs is located in the gearbox housing (unlike DE where it is bolted to the box externally). It is a gearbox down job and ~£300 in labour alone. Not quite £2500 but still a significant expense.

Clutch slave cylinder on HRs is located in the gearbox housing (unlike DE where it is bolted to the box externally). It is a gearbox down job and ~£300 in labour alone. Not quite £2500 but still a significant expense.

good point, worth having it routinely changed (or even better upgraded) at the time a clutch replacement be necessary

Hi guys, owned my '53 plate 350Z GT about 5 years. It had a new clutch before i bought it (not including a flywheel) it. Not had a days trouble with it ever since (37000 miles ago).

I Just got back from driving through Switzerland and the Stelvio Pass in Italy. Had the dreaded floppy clutch quarter mile from the top of Stelvio mountain. Let it cool down for half hour and the clutch returned to normal behaviour. Nursed it for a day then was fine for the 1100 mile journey home. After a few hours driving, between 3000-5000rpm it will make ticking noises while driving. Noise is only their in gear.

Can anyone suggest what needs replacing, most garages round here want me to supply my own clutch kit and if needed flywheel.

Hi guys, owned my '53 plate 350Z GT about 5 years. It had a new clutch before i bought it (not including a flywheel) it. Not had a days trouble with it ever since (37000 miles ago).

I Just got back from driving through Switzerland and the Stelvio Pass in Italy. Had the dreaded floppy clutch quarter mile from the top of Stelvio mountain. Let it cool down for half hour and the clutch returned to normal behaviour. Nursed it for a day then was fine for the 1100 mile journey home. After a few hours driving, between 3000-5000rpm it will make ticking noises while driving. Noise is only their in gear.

Can anyone suggest what needs replacing, most garages round here want me to supply my own clutch kit and if needed flywheel.

Do what Alex said " Fresh fluid, braided line and new external slave cyl will fix the fault."

Regards Keith

Yes Clutch and flywheel should cost £1000-1200 including labour. Most garages will allow you to source your own parts. An Exedy clutch kit from nissan is £330+Vat their flywheel, well, i wouldn't recommend using them for the flywheel (+£1000). Flywheels around 400-500.

If you want any garage recommendations for the Cardiff area let me know.

Horsham developments Newbury come highly recommended my son with his Silvia S15 uses them and guys on here rate them for Zeds they are not far from me as I'm near Chippenham but I haven't had to use them ....... Yet! Only had her 3onths😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do the genuine Nissan clutch kit and flywheel for the HR 350Z and 370Z for £1290 and the genuine slave cylinders for £99, Nissan UK rip you off we even supply dealers as they cannot get them that cheaply :)

Or save even more money and go for an uprated organic clutch kit with a single mass light weight flywheel.