Anyone watching the Jaguar XE Iaunch?

benjy88

I have to say, I like it a lot. most definitely a jag, and looks low and sleek and purposeful, which I don't get from bmws and merc c classes.

however I wonder where they can go with the coupe as this already has a very sloping roofline, not sure what headroom will be like in the back.

I really hope these sell well, will be great to take some of this enormous sector back into british built, indeed MIDLANDS built cars.

Benjy the 'launch' was incredibly cringeworthy, quite embarrassing really...

As for the XE it was always going to be a bit bland and uninspiring as that is the market it wants to fill, hopefully it will drive better than it looks...

I would be interested in an XE coupe somewhere down the line possibly, the 3.0 s/c XES seems quite impressive figure wise just not keen on the looks

I totally agree... it was genuinely tedious to watch. I almost fell asleep to be honest.

I agree, the figures are impressive on the 3.0 S..

Personally I'd reserve judgement until you see it in person, its definitely nicer in the metal, but I can see where everyone is coming from..

I totally agree... it was genuinely tedious to watch. I almost fell asleep to be honest.

I agree, the figures are impressive on the 3.0 S..

Personally I'd reserve judgement until you see it in person, its definitely nicer in the metal, but I can see where everyone is coming from..

Yeah it has aspects of the XF and f-type but I really don't like the rear, looks like an Audi A4 :shrug:

Interior looks nice although I think I still prefer the XF interior really.

If it drives anywhere near as well as the XF does then it will grab a decent share of the market it is aimed at I think :)

It's nothing extraordinary but it's a decent enough looking car. My criticism would be they dwelled too much on it bring a baby xf and it's turned out too similar to it. In the same way the x type was the first baby jag and that was a shrunken xj

When I first saw the new xj a few years back I was surprised at how much they had changed the design compared to the ones previously. Even now there's still nothing like it from anyone else in that sector

Was hoping this xe would be a bit more radical being in the smaller/younger market but it's a bit tame

I heard the drive will be amazing though

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The manual is being set up for F-type at present, introduced on the 3.0, and 3.0 S at first, with a manual becoming available for the V8 S (Not the R) potentially at facelift.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=31204

Nearly... ;)

Hahaha, now now smarty pants, I said it would be on the V6s at first ;) from what I've heard recently, they're running a test mule V8 at the moment at the high emissions circuit at Gaydon.. ;)

It's nothing extraordinary but it's a decent enough looking car. My criticism would be they dwelled too much on it bring a baby xf and it's turned out too similar to it. In the same way the x type was the first baby jag and that was a shrunken xj

When I first saw the new xj a few years back I was surprised at how much they had changed the design compared to the ones previously. Even now there's still nothing like it from anyone else in that sector

Was hoping this xe would be a bit more radical being in the smaller/younger market but it's a bit tame

I heard the drive will be amazing though

If it drives as well/better than an XF then that will be its saving grace, but agree about the looks, will people want a Euro box with a Jag badge :shrug:

I went up to Gaydon the other day to have a look at the 3.0 S... It is a PROPERLY good looking car to be honest, still not 100% sure on the rear, but the rest of it kind of compensates for the rear. Also, the technology is staggering.. you can preheat your cabin from your phone, and even lock the car from anywhere in the world!? Not sure how that's going to be that useful, but even still - pretty cool!

Dave- to me it does look like a euro box. Just another exec car

In that class look at the new IS F sport- design wise nothing in that sector is anywhere near as radical. The rest look too ordinary, including the XE

As mentioned before the big XJ has a funky design. I thought this would've followed suit. Lyon would expect the cars in this sector to be a bit more daring rather than the grandad/chauffeur sector :lol:

In terms of the XF- I love how it looks inside and out. But wasn't overly impressed with the drive. Felt too floaty, didn't feel comfortable pushing it because it didn't feel very sure footed. That was a sport which I presume had better suspension? The XE would have to be a much better drive IMO

I went up to Gaydon the other day to have a look at the 3.0 S... It is a PROPERLY good looking car to be honest, still not 100% sure on the rear, but the rest of it kind of compensates for the rear. Also, the technology is staggering.. you can preheat your cabin from your phone, and even lock the car from anywhere in the world!? Not sure how that's going to be that useful, but even still - pretty cool!

I wouldn't say the technology is staggering, staggering for a Jag maybe but to be expected in a similar priced German car...

As for the locking by mobile I can't wait for the hacking and insurance hikes :lol:

I really wanted the XE to look and feel special as I would be in the market maybe for a 3 door coupe version, but sadly I just don't feel it. The XK, XF & f-type have all looked great to me and made me want one but the XE just doesn't do it. The fact that Jaguar have 'toned down' the look to try and shift a lot of them adds to the feeling really, especially if they do shift and they are everywhere...

Dave- to me it does look like a euro box. Just another exec car

In that class look at the new IS F sport- design wise nothing in that sector is anywhere near as radical. The rest look too ordinary, including the XE

As mentioned before the big XJ has a funky design. I thought this would've followed suit. Lyon would expect the cars in this sector to be a bit more daring rather than the grandad/chauffeur sector :lol:

In terms of the XF- I love how it looks inside and out. But wasn't overly impressed with the drive. Felt too floaty, didn't feel comfortable pushing it because it didn't feel very sure footed. That was a sport which I presume had better suspension? The XE would have to be a much better drive IMO

Probably most likely the wheels/tyres. You need 20" rims and not the standard Dunslip tyres :lol:

I found the ride to still be a little floaty (it is a 2tonne barge) and mine didn't have adaptive suspension which firms up in the corners so I fitted £250 eibach springs, the car looks so much meaner and now handles itself pretty well for a big car, although if I was regularly going to throw it through twisties I would upgrade the brakes, just ask Will/Graham/Darren etc.... :blush:

When you say you test drove a sport, was it a. XFS or an R-sport as there is a BIG difference, can't say I have ever felt like I can't push my Jaaaag, if anything I have to hold back or I would loose my license very quickly :surrender:

Edited by spursmaddave

It was an r sport mate. Might not have upgraded suspension I just presumed it would?

I drove it from Glasgow to Bolton. Wasn't pushing it as driving like it was stolen lol just meant on the motorway didn't feel like some barges iv driven. The lexus LS460 is bigger but way less bargey