Metallic Knocking from Rear

And350zy

Thought this was worth mentioning in case anyone else experiences the same issue.

Just had a loud metallic knocking noise coming from the rear which would randomly happen when driving over bumps and it sounded just like I had a bag of tools sat in my boot. First thing I checked was to make sure my jack etc and spare wheel were secure (they were) but noise was still happening.

I very recently had some BC coilovers fitted by CS, so thought it could be the new suspension (as I know some have had issues with knocking noises from the BC coilovers). Mitz suggested checking that the adjusting collars were tight (they were) and the car handling has been greatly improved since having the coilovers fitted and even when the knocking noise occurred (which was loud enough to be alarming), nothing felt untoward with the handling. Have new drop links fitted so knew it couldn't be them. Was starting to get frustrated :rant:

Turns out, behind the trim in the boot in the corners (the fabric part) there are two metal brackets (right & left) fixed to the body, which the trim in turn is then fixed to. Bizzarely after 10 years the nuts fixing both brackets to the body had worked themselves loose enough to cause play with the brackets and they were hitting the bodywork causing the knocking noise. Tightened the nuts back up and so far no more knocking noise. :)

If you tap the trim in the corners you'll hear the metallic knocking if these brackets are indeed loose. The plastic trim is easy enough to remove (with a bit of patience!) so you can get access to tighten the nuts holding the bracket.

Hope this helps. If I hadn't been frustrated at the time I would have taken some photos of these brackets whilst the trim was off.

Edited by And350zy
  • Like 3

If I get around to taking the trim off again I'll stick up some pics but knowing my luck I'll probably break a clip or something :lol:

But like I say, you don't need to take the trim off to see if the bracket is causing the noise, if you hit the trim you'll hear the metallic knocking. Also hit each corner as only one bracket might be loose so you'll hear the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...