Any builders around?

Daryl

Just boarding out some of the roof in the garage, and after doing a little research, was wondering if any builders could offer their opinion on what they think the best course of action will be. My main issue are the trusses (iv just seen they should not be called joists) and that there is a join of these that is only held by some plates on the side. Just wondering if what i have/intend to do is safe generally, and if i need to put a couple of straps over these plates to beef up the trusses so i can put some stuff on them.

Here is what iv done, and the lay out of the garage roof.

50A9C392-EE2B-429D-BB1C-1C2757F50C5E.jpg

AD1C04F2-979A-46AD-AE54-3D8D5F684E0E.jpg

Edited by Daryl

Just boarding out some of the roof in the garage, and after doing a little research, was wondering if any builders could offer their opinion on what they think the best course of action will be. My main issue are the trusses (iv just seen they should not be called joists) and that there is a join of these that is only held by some plates on the side. Just wondering if what i have/intend to do is safe generally, and if i need to put a couple of straps over these plates to beef up the trusses so i can put some stuff on them.

Here is what iv done, and the lay out of the garage roof.

50A9C392-EE2B-429D-BB1C-1C2757F50C5E.jpg

AD1C04F2-979A-46AD-AE54-3D8D5F684E0E.jpg

Where those horizontal plates are joining the trusses together it would be very sensible to have the board above it 50/50, ie half the board on one truss and half on the other, joints on top of joints create a weak spot

ATTAK Z will be along soon ;)

But I personally would not trust lying my15 stone on that chipboard given the joist butt-jointing of those trusses (deserves a Will :scare: )

You're never 15stone Colin :scare:

:kissing::lol:

Guess Daryl, it depends how many gold bars you are stacking up there, or you could always let the Zed get wet and use a few acrow props :stir:

Sorry, hit the weekend pop early :teeth::surrender:

Fink Trusses (commonly known as gang nailed trusses - thats the metal spiked plates joining the 2 bits of timber together) are designed on the whole to carry light storage and your ceiling load ie plasterboard.

As Martin ^^ said it is best to spread the weyrock chipboard across the joint (although the gang nails are very strong)

You'll be fine to store stuff up there, so long as it is "light" storage ie not your weight lift kit in one spot.

Also its best to try and spread the loading out and to keep the heavier stuff nearer the node points - the struts and wall plate points (better closer to the wall plate)

Whatever you do - DON'T remove any of the struts and or bracing

hope that helps

^^^ as ioneabee says....those nail plates are damn strong and do an excellent job of holding 2 lengths of timber together.

imo you should be fine as long as you spread the load out.

Check with a straight edge under the bottom truss between the joint for any misalignment if you suspect overloading.

Right ...

Gang nail trusses are designed to take compressive and tensile loads in the members. The strength of the joints (gang nail plates) is determined by trial and error rather than calculation, thus it's a bit of a black art.

Bending stresses in individual members are induced by UDLs (uniformly distributed loads) which can be dead or live. The UDL in the top chord of the truss is composed of the dead weight of the roof tiles, battens etc. and the live load of snow and wind. The bottom chord of the truss is designed to take the dead load of ceiling finishes, mechanical/electrical services etc. and the live load of access for maintenance and repair. The raking members of the truss are simply in compression or tension with no induced bending stresses.

What you are proposing will induce increased bending stress in the bottom chord of the truss whilst increasing the overall loading on the system and increase the tensile and compressive loads in all the members. This could be a bad thing as sooner or later you will overload the system.

However, factors of safety are built in, 1.4 for dead loads and 1.6 for live loads IIRC, so providing you don't increase the load too much you should be OK

HTH ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the help and info guys. Il move that last strip of boards so it is evenly over the 2 trusses. What im thinking of doing is putting additional bracing over the nail plates and screwing them to the trusses for exfra strength. Would this be adviceable of would it weaker the trusses?

If you want to screw extra timber over (probably not necessary) but plywood would be your best option.

The longitudinal bracing (the horizontal ones) and the diagonal bracing stop the roof from racking ie domino effect - there are (should be) metal straps built into the wall and fixed over the last 3 trusses - these are the ones that stop the gable masonry falling over - all form part of the whole :thumbs:

• Like 1

U could put a lot of weight on that and it won't go no where ,

I do loft conversions for a living , trusses are very strong ðŸ‘

6295F368-F256-46A1-B306-1F9E7DEC25F8.jpg

0D27833A-B5B7-4D51-B545-9DB7AAC45F47.jpg

That tonne and a half steal was sat on the ceiling , no problems ðŸ‘

Edited by Zhorno

Blimey,thats some steel there! Though the question was more to do with the straps that are holding the two trusses together.

Il have a look again tomorrow, but il move the last row of ply so it is evenly over both trusses, and just leave it as that. Im going to be boarding the inside of the ceiling also and putting some lights in there. The roof area will be storing my car mags and some other bits like wheels etc and although il occasionally be crawling around up there, im hoping it will hold.

you won't have any problems with that Daryl

Zhorno - the reason that holds (at the moment) is that the weight is unifomerly spread along all the roof and you're quite close to the support point ie the wall plate. Timber will bend a lot before breaks - so what you will be getting there is deflection, but for a short time - my suggestion to you though is DO NOT do that again - put the steel in first and then cut the struts out - alternatively get some acro struts under the ceiling below

• Like 1