Guys...Alloy wheels I need help

trancematic

excuse my ignorance guys but what exactly are these Rays i keep hearing about,i know absolutly nothing about cars i just drive them,all i want is to basically get back to basics ,get another set of alloys that don't really require spacers that won't make my tyres look stretched.

I have been told the rim sizes but Ive been looking on here but don't see any 8.5 on the rear,i have seen 1 set of alloys which fit my tyre size but didn't like the look of them,budget is around £500,and all this offset is confusing me even more.

There last thing i want is to get a set of alloys/Rays whatever and then find i need spacers or they don't look much better than whats on the car.

I do appreciate all the advice and help though but I'm not a 350z expert and have little to no interest in the mechanics of cars and i have to say that guys with total honesty .

excuse my ignorance guys but what exactly are these Rays i keep hearing about,i know absolutly nothing about cars i just drive them,all i want is to basically get back to basics ,get another set of alloys that don't really require spacers that won't make my tyres look stretched.

I have been told the rim sizes but Ive been looking on here but don't see any 8.5 on the rear,i have seen 1 set of alloys which fit my tyre size but didn't like the look of them,budget is around £500,and all this offset is confusing me even more.

There last thing i want is to get a set of alloys/Rays whatever and then find i need spacers or they don't look much better than whats on the car.

I do appreciate all the advice and help though but I'm not a 350z expert and have little to no interest in the mechanics of cars and i have to say that guys with total honesty .

How do you want your car to look? You don't need spacers on any wheel unless they don't clear the Brakes or are Adapters for .....(Nvm that bit will confuse you even more)

Do you want the wheel to fill and sit flush with the arch like...

IMG_2289_zpsd9b7d103.jpg

Or do you not mind if it's sunken inside the arch like...

DSC_0101_zpsbd359473.jpg

• Like 1

I don't mind it sunken inside the arch if I'm honest,much appreciate your time and effort Grundy in giving me some advice as I haven't got a clue what the hell I'm doing .

By the way what do Rays stand for .

Rays are a brand of wheel manufacture

and grundy doesnt have a clue either :stir:

Edited by StevoD

Rays are just a brand.

In the UK, early cars could have them as an option. Later cars they came as standard.

This thread : http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=53880 shows pics of Rays without spacers at the top, and what they look like with spacers at the bottom of the thread.

Again, I must stress that wheel width is irrelevant without taking into account the offset of the wheel.

Grundys just pic whoring now ;)

And I'm so confused

Lets break this down....

You've bought Tyres that don't fit your current wheels.

Options are to buy tyres that fit, or (the harder option) buy wheels that fit your tyres.

So you choose to buy new wheels,

The simplest option would be to buy a set of Rays. Rays are the wheels that most Zeds have as they are the factory optional extra.

DSC_0101_zpsbd359473.jpg

Those ^^ Are rays. It's just a brand like Nike, Adidas etc.

The rays will fit your tyres perfectly.

Options C - Find a set of wheels that are Between 8-9.5J Wide in 18's.

If you are not bothered about the wheel filling the arches, then just remove the wheels spacers.

Easiest option, if you like them of course, is to find someone selling a set of rays to buy.

Why do you want them palleted? Just chuck them in the car/van/lorry. They need a refurb anyway so wouldn't worry about them sliding about.

true...

Just take some tie wraps and strap them together with a piece of cardboard or newspaper

in between if your worried about scratching them. :thumbs:

I enquired about these and asked the guy i few question regarding width size which he said he didn't know,also asked him if they came with the appropriate bolts,again he failed to answer,so based on that communication its best i leave this one alone as i don't want to be making a 250 mile round trip and buying some Rays that are not exactly the size i require for my tyres.

I enquired about these and asked the guy i few question regarding width size which he said he didn't know,also asked him if they came with the appropriate bolts,again he failed to answer,so based on that communication its best i leave this one alone as i don't want to be making a 250 mile round trip and buying some Rays that are not exactly the size i require for my tyres.

All standard rays will be the same size and offset, 8" fronts & 8.5" rears, offsets are somewhere in the mid 30's from memory. Bolts needed are nothing special either.

To be honest if someone messaged me what size and offset they are and do they have appropriate bolts i probably wouldnt answer as i would expect them to know as they are just standard oem wheels that fit 350z's, no offence meant mate, but he probably thinks your a time waster.

The tyres you bought will fit std Rays :)

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1