Prepping for the 150mph mark...

Kuro

Given that I'll soon be thundering down the Autobahn, I thought it would be rude not to take the Zed to warp 9 :D

Knowing me, this will be for around 3 seconds, just enough to say "I did it!" before letting car car slow down to around the UK spped limit mark.

So, are there are special things I need to remember - besides holding on tight!

With the Ring in mind, I've already looked at:

Tyre Pressures, Oil levels, fluids levels, etc - Basically everything that a mechanically challenged chap like me can check!

At 150mph (240kph), the 350 is incredibly stable. Better than driving a regular car at half the speed.

No need to hold on tight -- in a straight line at 150mph, you can let go of the steering wheel.

In addition to having good, high speed rated tires, I highly recommend having good balance on the tires, and a good alignment (all 4 wheels).

You'll love it! :D:D:D

These should be standard regular check items specially if you cane the car:

Ensure tyre pressures are ok on all tyres, even if you already checked them at the start of the trip , it takes less than 1 minute to go round the car... and if you have been round the ring you could have picked some debri, slow punctures etc...

Ensure there are no cuts or serious damage marks on the treads, cuts on the sidewall etc.

Ensure you have enough brake pads...

(As a rule I was once told that a high speed (Over 90mph) emergency brake can remove between 0.5 to 1mm of brake pad thickness...and you only get around 10-15 mm on a new pad, if I remember...)

Finally alway remember to look in the RR view mirror, there will ALWAYS be something quicker behind you, flashing you to move out of the way... :scare:

Ive never done 150mph ;) so i cant comment.

However i would make sure the car is in good nick and the tyres are not worn, bulging or there are any defects. you do not want to have a blow out at 150mph as the car will be uncontrollable.

Play safe and keep an eye out for other cars, one in the distance will soon be right next to you at that speed

TBH 150 isn't too much to worry about, especially in the Z. I have had 150 out of it on a 2 mile oval, now that took a bit of strength to hold it, however at 100mph on the oval you can actually lift off the wheel and it will continue to hold the line, accelerate and it will move up, decelerate and it will move down.

Come back when you have done 190 on two wheels and tell us what you think of that, I can tell you that at that speed it generally gives you tunnel vision, it also makes you bloody aware of cars\trucks in the distance.

One final warning, assuming that you're going thru the Ardennes part of Belgium and thru Luxembourg to get to the 'Ring, what ever you do, don't speed thru Belgium, well not unless you have a lot of money either on you or in the bank. If you're caught speeding in Belgium they give roadside fines, if you can't pay the fine they will impound your car, oh and it's dependent on speed as well. 100mph could easily cost you over £150 in fines (I think that 120 was going to cost me something like 400€ but that was a while ago).

I learnt to drive in Germany at a time when there weren't that many speed restrictions in place. 120mph with learner plates on... happy days :)

One piece of advice I can give you is that if you manage to find a stretch of autobahn where you can actually get up to 150 (too much traffic these days...) be very careful going past junctions as I've had no end of near misses with people going straight from slip roads to the outside lane or just simply pulling out to let someone on to the motorway without checking behind them.

Oh and I always have my lights on to make sure other drivers have more chance of seeing me.

Have fun!

I learnt to drive in Germany at a time when there weren't that many speed restrictions in place. 120mph with learner plates on... happy days :)

One piece of advice I can give you is that if you manage to find a stretch of autobahn where you can actually get up to 150 (too much traffic these days...) be very careful going past junctions as I've had no end of near misses with people going straight from slip roads to the outside lane or just simply pulling out to let someone on to the motorway without checking behind them.

Oh and I always have my lights on to make sure other drivers have more chance of seeing me.

Have fun!

Good tips there. :thumbs:

I agree with all things been said above.

Keep your eyes on the road as much as possible, not on the speedometer.

The Z is stable on proper roadsurface. On older highways you do have to hold on to the steering wheel, I definitely wouldn't try to take both my hands of the steering wheel.

Also be careful with slow bends on the highway, it takes a lot more effort to stay in 1 lane doing 150+. I know from experience :).

For the rest it's the normal stuff. Be ready to brake when you see a few cars behind eachother. The closing speed is very high at 150mph and they tend to move over to the fast lane thinking it was all clear.

I have a piece of private road on the border of Belgium/Holland where I do 150+ everyday coming back from work :D.

Fines for speeding have gone up by 50% in both Belgium and Holland in the last couple of years. So yes, it can get very expensive.

Im delimited, but im in no position to try and find out. . .the island i live on has a speed limit of 35mph. . . :teeth:

I was going to say Guernsey and then saw your location. TBH I would be scared of driving the Z over there, it's bloody mad. Some lovely roads mind you, Val De Zere??? up by the brewery, sort of heading towards Soldiers Bay area must be nice.

I love the island and would love to see how much Herm has changed actually. (I was born there, went to Vauvert school when I was really young).

Hehe yep good old Guernsey. .. . theres another of us on here somewhere. Only about 4-5 Zs over here. The other black one is on here now and again.

I spend quite a few months last year in London and around with the Z and it has to be said that over all, i prefer driving over here despite the *cough* speed limit. . .

I know there are other great places in the UK to use the Z to its full potential but London and the outskirts is definelty NOT one of them, than and not really feeling great about leaving it on the street.

Guernsey, although small and speed limit, you can still have great fun in a sports car or on a bike. Theres some nice stretches where you can give it some beans and lots of nice twistys and technical bits. .. .. just gotta watch out for cows/farmers etc . . .

Yes Val De Terres can be great fun. . . they hold the hill climb event up there about 5 times a year, and its tempting to not make it your own hill climb when you going home from work . . . . theres probabaly a standing record amongst the sports car population . .

J

Just like to echo the check the tyres and fluids comments.

You should have no problems other than that - just done a VMax on an airfield and got a 148 with the roof down and a 153 with the roof up at the end of a 1.6 mile straight.... 8 mpg though :scare:

Completely stable at that speed and under braking. Keep an eye on your oil level if you are doing it regularly. Was burning a quarter of a dipstick PER DAY in the Alps - long decents under engine breaking and lots of revs going up meant that regular checks were vital!

Glen

• 3 weeks later...