Oops. Newbie part II: 370z GT Edition with 488 bhp, 360 lb/ft :D

Interesting stuff. I'd could be quite tempted to supercharge but it's a hefty outlay and I never know when I'll get the itch to change the car. Be a lot to invest for just a couple of years use.

That's my thought I get bored easy

I did — my car history is on the blog (link below). Changing cars every so often is also crazy expensive, so this is my "I really like this car, and I'm not selling it stop buying bloody cars" statement*. Stubborn mode engaged. :D

* Unless by some freak of economics I could run a 997 GT-3 RS 4.0. Love that car. Even with that I'd keep my 'z
:)

IMHO oil cooler a must if you track the car. On mine aside from oil cooler i have also put vents in the wing splash shields and fitted the vented aluminium undershield to allow hot air out of engine bay now only see about 120/130 when tracking.

Did an oil cooler come with the GTM kit Kev?

:welcome:

0-60 in 3s is ridiculous.. my supersport 600 isn't much faster than that and it weighs 160kg.. you're car sounds quality mate :thumbs:

It really is! I have two measures so far, neither hugely accurate so I'd love to take the car to Santa Pod or somewhere similar to have a go with some proper timings. (This probably counts as 'taking my car on a track', which I said I don't do :-S)

• Measure 1: The uncontrollable swearing/giggling/maniacal laughter when you floor it, followed by more swearing when you see how fast you are going.
  • Measure 2: Using the Wi-Fi OBD2 monitor + 'DashCommand' on an iPod. This uses the car's internal data to report the speed, so my time is recorded with this on a straight level bit of road.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I've done 11k miles on the Stillen/Norris Designs supercharged setup so far. Here's what I've learned:

• + It is fast, linear and reliable. I still love it. In fact, it still surprises me how quick this thing is. It is utterly ridiculous.
  • + I've grown to like the slightly raspy sound of the decat. (I'd rather have lighter wheels than a posh exhaust).
  • + Nissan Westway Aldershot HPC have been fantastic with the service. They are real advocates of the modified car, and have been reasonable in charges for the extra oil changes (each 4500 mi) and supercharger fluid change.
  • + No issues with oil temps as yet. Yes it rises on high load or enthusiastic driving but it has not yet touched 110 degrees on the dial.
  • - The air/fuel could use a trim at light load. Simon Norris has agreed to trim this FOC when I next visit. It manifests itself when the engine is fully hot through, on moving off under light throttle. It sounds like some very light pinking that disappears with load, and does not reappear until the car has been sat idle for a minute or two.
  • - I've had a two couple of slow starts on cold mornings, the engine turns a bit slowly compared to usual, then bursts into life. Simon has agreed to take a look at this for me too.
  • - Whilst the stock PCV system is okay in this supercharged application where the boost matches the revs, there is a little puff of smoke when I drop down a few gears and give it beans. I am looking into a better crankcase ventilation setup, which will also require an adjustment to the tune as this affects metered air.
  • - I have the 7AT transmission. The torque tables supplied increased line pressure throughout to hold the power and slightly increase the shift speed, and a fine job it does of it too. However I think that the approach that Stillen took is a bit blunt — at low to mid power the shift is overly harsh, banging into gear rather like pinging off the clutch too quickly on a MT. I would like to see about updating the torque tables such that there is some slush/progressiveness at light load/lower power ramping up to the full squeeze at high power. Graphs of the torque tables are on my blog.
  • +/- Fast begets faster. I'd like the to get lighter wheels (18" for traction and ride) plus a better differential. However my wallet needs time to recover.

Any questions, please ask. HTH.

Dominic

Hi Dominic,

I also have the 7AT gearbox, but upgraded by Level 10 to hold 1000bhp. My setup is 370z Greddy Twin Turbo, runing 553bhp and 465lb/ft.

I've asked Jez @ H-Dev to send me the map so I can take some screenshots of the Torque tables value for comparison. Level 10 did an awesome job, the drivability it's just like stock!

Also looking into the Quaife ATB diff, will go for this one:

http://shop.quaife.co.uk/nissan-350z-auto-quaife-atb-helical-lsd-differential

Who tuned your car, are they the ones? http://www.norrisdesigns.com

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi Dominic .

Your car sounds epic and I'm especially interested in it as I've had a quote from ND for a stillen install on my HR 350z . They really seem to know there stuff and have been very helpful . It's good to see you have done 11k pretty much trouble free as this is my main concern about supercharging. What extra bits did you have to get with the stillen kit to make it all work?

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Dominic,

I also have the 7AT gearbox, but upgraded by Level 10 to hold 1000bhp. My setup is 370z Greddy Twin Turbo, runing 553bhp and 465lb/ft.

I've asked Jez @ H-Dev to send me the map so I can take some screenshots of the Torque tables value for comparison. Level 10 did an awesome job, the drivability it's just like stock!

Also looking into the Quaife ATB diff, will go for this one:

http://shop.quaife.c...sd-differential

Who tuned your car, are they the ones? http://www.norrisdesigns.com

Adrian

Hello Adrian! Yes, the car was indeed tuned by Simon at Norris Designs. Simon and the team did an excellent job, and the level of service was above and beyond what I would expect — so professional!

The torque tables would be fantastic to compare. I really want to get this sorted, because the change is quite jerky TBH. Stillen sent a terrible map to start with that wouldn't hold any power at all. This updated map just seems like someone banged up the numbers to high values but haven't really done much driving to fine tune them. I wonder if I can get a similar torque table sorted for mine?

If you don't mind my keen-ness, I wouldn't mind popping up one evening to compare transmission shifts... Geeky, but I hope fun.

That's the same diff that I found too. My notes are on my blog at http://370zgt.tumblr.com/

I really think a nice set of 18" ultraleggera wheels with some good rubber, the diff and the PCV would be a good addition. Your car sounds epic! That torque figure especially :D

Hi Dominic .

Your car sounds epic and I'm especially interested in it as I've had a quote from ND for a stillen install on my HR 350z . They really seem to know there stuff and have been very helpful . It's good to see you have done 11k pretty much trouble free as this is my main concern about supercharging. What extra bits did you have to get with the stillen kit to make it all work?

Thanks for your help :)

Evening Bodyboarder81! The short answer: nothing. I've had nothing extra to make it all work. The Stillen kit is a turn-key solution, i.e. everything you need is in the kit. Snail, Injectors, belts, mounts, pipes, tuning licence for UpRev etc etc etc.. The lot.

However, I upgraded from the standard kit. My 370z is running a 9lb pulley (the standard kit is 8lb), we can have more boost here in the UK because we have easy access to decent fuel (V-Power nitro+ etc.). I also got a decat fabricated up to reduce the back pressure in the standard exhaust. Neither is necessary, but as far as upgrades go it wasn't much on top of the kit price.

Stillen's tech support have been helpful in my queries about the kit. I have something like 200 emails between us as I grilled them about every concern. Crankcase ventilation, engine internals, cooling, you name it I asked. Even whether the snow button on my 7AT would switch the engine map (it doesn't).

If you have any concerns about the kit, I would reach out to Stillen directly by email. Simon and the team at Norris also very savvy.

The clincher for me was Simon saying that he's not in business to make unreliable tunes. He's right. The tune is reliable.

Yep let me know when your free and I can pop up to Newbury and have a chin wag with you :)

Although I only have the 350 it's pretty much the same kit , so to see it in the metal would be great.

Thanks for your informative replies , makes it seem a little less scary parting with the monies :)

are either of you guys at a lose end over the xmas period for a mini meet ?

i think i may use abbey for my install as mark has taken a lot of time to talk to me about the install process etc plus he did my uprev so kind of feel inclined to use him again

im sure there all as good i just feel comfatable with abbey

are either of you guys at a lose end over the xmas period for a mini meet ?

i think i may use abbey for my install as mark has taken a lot of time to talk to me about the install process etc plus he did my uprev so kind of feel inclined to use him again

im sure there all as good i just feel comfatable with abbey

Im around .... Just send me a pm if we can meet up with dajw...

I am also wiaiting for a quote from mark .... So we shall see :)

Be good if we pull the trigger at the same time and try and strike a deal with abbey ;)