Hill start

Richy

My Z has an automatic brake which stays on for a couple of seconds on a hill start. I assume it is so I don't need to use the handbrake, though not sure I want to test it on a severe hill. :scare:

Am I supposed to wait until it releases before pulling away, and look like I have fallen asleep at the wheel ?

For some reason the Alfa I have had for the last 16 years didn't have this extra. :)

I did try and search this, but presume do one has ever been daft enough to ask ? :blush:

It's a PITA but what I found is that if you hold the car on the brakes, just enough to stop the car from moving, it doesn't engage. Where as if you press the brake firmly it will engage.

No way of disabling it either :wacko:

I will try that. :thumbs:

I found the hill start assist was generally quite good on my RCZ and on the wifes Mokka but find it`s a bit hit and miss as to when it activates on the zed so tend to mostly use the handbrake but I believe it`s supposed to release as soon as you start to let the clutch out when it has done.

I had it on a previous VW, and it worked great. However the one on the 370z just feels rubbish. You never know if it is a steep enough incline for it to engage, and when it does engage, it feels like its holding you back when you pull away

The VW system will engage all the time, and the moment you reach biting point it has disengaged before you even feel it. You just cant trust the one in the 370z!!

I had it on a previous VW, and it worked great. However the one on the 370z just feels rubbish. You never know if it is a steep enough incline for it to engage, and when it does engage, it feels like its holding you back when you pull away

The VW system will engage all the time, and the moment you reach biting point it has disengaged before you even feel it. You just cant trust the one in the 370z!!

That's what I find.

I am old and ugly enough to know how to do a hill start without help. This just seems to hold you back, and it sounds like you are riding the clutch. Unfortunately my drive is on sufficient a slope that it kicks in when I go to put the Z in the garage.

Mind you there are a lot of things I love about the car, so I suppose I can put up with this niggle. :thumbs:

I had this type of system on a 13 plate Astra, it took me about two weeks to figure out how to release it as it had never been explained to me by the salesperson and the manual in the glove-box was for a vehicle two years older. I found out it releases when I blipped the throttle whilst at the clutch biting point. I agree I didn't like it either.

My parents Astra has it, it doesn't seem to hold me back when I'm moving off whilst on an incline at all. I just drive as I normally do and ignore it, however, it does stop that slight roll back.

I'm sure all manufacturer systems are different and I've not driven a 370Z so I can't really comment on it's system.