Any legal advice on road offence?

maxi-glasgow

They claimed they were right behind me when I went thru the lights but I know that must be a lie, i went round a mini roundabout in 2nd gear which is about 600 yards from lights which I was going left at, I gunned it in 2nd and was going into 3rd when I got to lights and started turning amber when I was about 15-20 yards away so I went rather than slamming on the brakes. So there was no way they could have been 'right' behind me. Don't get me wrong I wasn't flying, I was probably going between 30-40 when I got to lights.

And when I was travelling down the main road I was nearly half a mile down the road when I seen the blue lights coming up behind me from distance, how is this possible if they were 'right' behind me.

Not sure what your car drives like, but 'gunning it' in 2nd or 3rd in mine results in motorway speeds in very little time at all... And remember the Zed is notorious for not 'feeling' very fast.

I've been pulled over twice and neither time has been near the site of the alleged incident - both 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile away. They were probably checking your plates before they pulled you.

How can you definitively and undeniably prove they weren't 'right behind you' (which is a vague phrase in its self, which I assume really "means within a couple hundred meters of you") when you didn't have a dash cam or lots of witnesses?

As I said I probably took it to about 40, was more to hear the exhaust as it's large tenement houses either side of the street so it sounds similar to a tunnel :)

the best you can do is see a solicter there alot of factors that can help you out,

if you can get pulled up evidence from the police car if it had a camera rolling to prove you were fine or it can bite you in the arse and prove they were right

your hardest part is 2vs1

and the hard facts are you could be standing in the street doing nothing, get arrested taken to court for i dunno public disturbance you'll loose because 2 people said you did it, there the facts

the only way to cover yourself nowadays is your own dash cams

Good job we dont live in a communist country were they tell us what we can and cant do.................................o wait

Edited by StevoD

I'm hardly going to say I gunned it from roundabout to lights am I, I will simply say I was sitting around 30mph when lights turned to amber

So you don't even know what speed you were doing? It's possible you were going faster than 30mph? You weren't paying attention to how long the lights had been green for?

Mate, any good prosecutor is going to have a field day with a comment like that. What was the speed limit anyway? If you have a loud exhaust on, then they will be able to say that they heard you accelerate aggresively, which instantly paints you as a boy racer. Even if there was a car between you, that doesn't mean that they couldn't see your car go past the lights as they were red.

My advice would strongly be to take this one on the chin and improve your driving. However, if you decide to contest it please keep us in the loop, and if you win I'll personally send you the confectionary item of your choice. :)

I would take it to court...

If they were "threatening" you with "it will cost youore if you go to court" etc- they know they might be wrong and you will win it in court...

Also, they might never gave a statement - so judge will just close that case in your favour...happened few times to my mates when police officers never have statement etc - and case was closed. One of the examples - they pulled my mate over on motorway for apparently doing over 100mph... Which he didn't and he knew it, so he took it to court...walked into te court, got told by the judge that police officers (2 of them as well) never have a statement so case was closed with no fines/points and only annoyed mate who wasted a day if work to price his innocence

• Like 1

My favourite right now is a Drifter...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their candid replies, was really only wanting to clarify if I took it to court could they indeed increase my charge to dangerous driving or wreckless driving as that's all together a different ballgame...

My favourite right now is a Drifter...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their candid replies, was really only wanting to clarify if I took it to court could they indeed increase my charge to dangerous driving or wreckless driving as that's all together a different ballgame...

not increase the charge but increase the penalty/fine

Well, in theory they could decide that they don't want to proceed with the traffic signal offence and that they instead want to change it to a careless driving charge, but that would happen long before you get to court. I suspect that's very unlikely, as it would cause massive paperwork issues but the CPS could decide to go down that route if they wanted, Or the PF, or whatever it is you have north of the border.

Just say "The Police car was so close behind me, it wasn't safe to stop at the amber lights

as the police car would have gone into the back of me" (They did say they were right behind you)

so obviously it was there fault you went through an Amber light, not Red. ..!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Been having a look at the discussion on this topic, a lot people think that's it's ok to go thro a amber light and yes you see hundreds if not thousands of people do it and it never leads to a road traffic incident.

However in the Highway Code it does state- " AMBER means ' STOP' at the stop line you may go on only if the Amber appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident".

Accelerating hard towards a traffic light is never a good idea as it increases your braking distances and hence reduces your ability to stop at the line . I did run a amber light l on my HGV class 2 driving test, however I was about a couple of vehicle lengths from the stop line with another LGV directly behind me, I passed the test with no comment from the examiner.

Edited by daveallen1999

Suck it up mate.

I was wrongly accused recently of not wearing a seat belt.

2 police officers word against mine so I just paid the £100.00 fine.

Don't get me wrong, I was livid, however in the cold light of day I really did not need the aggravation of a day in court, and possibly an increase of fine, points on my licence and a criminal conviction.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

Alex. :)

• Like 2