Took my Zed to Europe

zabba

I've wanted to take my car to France for a while and the old race track at Reims for a few pics, so with a few days off last week me and the girlfriend headed off to 4 days to Belgium and Northern France for some WW1 sites and champagne tasting :)

Anyway, car performed really well, it is perfect for that sort of trip!! Took loads of luggage in the boot and rear shelf area, and managed to fit in a few bottles when coming home. The car suits the open a roads and French motorways really well, relaxing to drive and cruise around in. Over 800 miles the car averaged 28.1mpg per the computer so happy with that.

I didn't see another Zed at all, I think performance cars are a bit less common over there, and it attracted a lot of attention and admiring glances.

I think it is a bit of a farewell to the car as it will go up for sale soon, but this trip has given me some great memories of it.

Also, I can thoroughly recommend the WW1 sites, some very moving places and I cannot imagine what those soldiers went through for our country.

Few pics:-

Motor museum in Reims

IMG_4707.jpg

Reims circuit

P1110167.jpg

P1110184.jpg

IMG_4714.jpg

Le Tour

IMG_4753.jpg

Menin Gate at Ypres

IMG_4619.jpg

Canadian Memorial at Vimy

IMG_4627.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you had a good time, nice pics :)

That's what I love about the Z, really comfortable on long journeys and sensible fuel consumption too, then bags of power for when you want some fun. Such a great 'all rounder'.

Edited by Jp606
  • Like 1

hello there,

glad u had a great time.

my brother and I are off to france in a few weeks,done it many times in cars and bikes(cars much safer!).

love the roads and people even the cops are nicer!

any chance u could send or post the rough route u took as looking for places and roads to go on and see!

thanks in advance,si.

hello there,

glad u had a great time.

my brother and I are off to france in a few weeks,done it many times in cars and bikes(cars much safer!).

love the roads and people even the cops are nicer!

any chance u could send or post the rough route u took as looking for places and roads to go on and see!

thanks in advance,si.

I didn't have a set route as such, just used the satnav to get us from place to place. If you are after great driving roads then southern France is probably a better bet, but depends how much time you have. I kept to Northern France as we only had 3 nights (4 days) where the roads are good with little traffic, although not that exciting. My route was broadly Calais to Ypres to Reims to Amiens to Calais.

Ypres in Belgium is a small city, we went to see the Menin Gate memorial, there is a service every night which attracts hundreds of people, and is very moving.

We stopped at Vimy to see the Canadian memorial and there are some trenches there to see, again very moving.

Reims is in the champagne region, so there are champagne houses you can visit or do tours if you have more time. We also went to the motor museum (lots of cool old French cars) and the old Reims circuit. It's a nice place to walk around as well.

Amiens was ok but wouldn't go again, better places to stay but we were there just as a base to see the Somme battlefields and memorials, which were fantastic. The Somme museum in Albert and Thiepval memorial are must sees if you have any interest is WW1. I honestly think everyone should see them at some point. The Thiepval memorial has the names of 72,000 men whose bodies were never identified.

Pictures look fantastic...

What a pleasure when you get off the twenty past 12 train at 2am and have a clear road to open the taps...

For best roads that whole region from Spa down Bastogne way and over through Luxembourg and Mosel Valley Germany is the best of a Northern Europe circa 4 day plus jaunt...

Always say you guys down south have it good being so close to the tunnel..

i'm off to Denmark in mine next week.... thats France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark all sorted then.

Theres a few of us going from the UK so set up a google+ thing so we can track each other for the full "Top Gear Race" thing.... should be a hoot