A Lot of Lucky People at Brands that Day.

WhackyWill

:scare: was he okay?

Yes both drivers were OK, the MR2 that ended up in the car

park, landed where the ice cream van is normally parked and

always has a queue, but he had run out of some gas he uses

and 10 mins earlier drove down in the van to the paddock to

re-gas some equipment...sooo lucky... :scare:

At least there wasn't a polo on the track :lol:

Glad everyone is ok, could have been much worse, and I feel really sorry for everyone involved with the build of those cars, the hard work which goes into them is huge :(

Edit: just noticed the couple running out of the way, that was really close! I bet there have been changes to that area of fencing in the years since!

Edited by AliveBoy
  • Like 1

Glad everyone is ok, could have been much worse, and I feel really sorry for everyone involved with the build of those cars, the hard work which goes into them is huge :(

Edit: just noticed the couple running out of the way, that was really close! I bet there have been changes to that area of fencing in the years since!

This was only last Summer I think, but fairly recently.

No changes were made they just replaced the catch fencing.

The car actually went through the catch fencing and over the Ambulance gate. :scare:

The car actually went through the catch fencing and over the Ambulance gate. :scare:

2011 according to the upload date :lol:

I'd presume they would have changed either the banking, or the design of the fence, a lot of places have them like this I think:

7898.png

So that the cars can't go over and through the gap

2011 according to the upload date :lol:

I'd presume they would have changed either the banking, or the design of the fence, a lot of places have them like this I think:

7898.png

So that the cars can't go over and through the gap

It knocked down the catch fencing and went OVER the Ambulance gate where there was no fencing

and still isn't, 100/1 chance it went directly over the gate, just missing the Marshall's Post at Paddock. :scare:

That disgusting that an accident like that can happen at such a highly regarded track in the UK. Yes the chances are low of it happening again, but if there is even a tiny chance of someone getting hurt, it needs sorted, NOW!

• Like 1

That disgusting that an accident like that can happen at such a highly regarded track in the UK. Yes the chances are low of it happening again, but if there is even a tiny chance of someone getting hurt, it needs sorted, NOW!

You can't prevent everything. Everything is done on risks. Damage potential x likelyhood to occur = risk rating. So yes it could be severe but if the chances of it are really low, then no real need to do anything about it. We can't wrap everything up in cotton wool, otherwise life would be boring.

• Like 1

You can't prevent everything. Everything is done on risks. Damage potential x likelyhood to occur = risk rating. So yes it could be severe but if the chances of it are really low, then no real need to do anything about it. We can't wrap everything up in cotton wool, otherwise life would be boring.

Tyre wall would have stopped it very easily. All tracks should be surrounded by them.

Crazy crashes Will and Simon. :scare:

Circuits today are so much safer though than they used to be so the risk of injury to spectators/drivers is thankfully much less nowadays.

I used to go to Castle Combe Race days all the time with my father & brother when we where younger back in the early/mid 90's. We where literally sitting about 2 metres from the tyre wall on Quarry corner with just a thin wire fence between us and it. Not like today with it's giant "Jurassic Park" style catch fencing everywhere.

One year a man was killed whilst we where there when a tyre/alloy came off a car at Tower corner and went straight into the crowd. :(

Tyre wall would have stopped it very easily. All tracks should be surrounded by them.

Tyre walls can do more damage than good, there's reports of cars ending up under them when they hit at massive speed, cars hitting them and then flipping, etc etc. They also sling MASSIVE parts of cars into the crowd, two tyres flying 50ft into a crowd at 100mph could be more dangerous than a car going over a fence 10 feet at 30 mph unfortunately.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-27836/Call-safety-review-F1-tragedy.html

HUGE gravel traps can stop most things, unless the car goes in sideways or bounces and catches air underneath it.

The safest way to avoid a crash is not race. Unfortunately over a ton of metal is very hard to control/predict when it crashes in a motorsport environment, as there's way too many variables.

Edited by AliveBoy