ECU Upgrade

Alcran

Afternoon gents & ladies.

I have a question, regarding ECU/upgrade. Slightly confused, I was wondering what the benefits would be to have an upgraded ECU, I assume this would be best done at the same time as uprev with the new ECU installed at the same time.

My current understanding that a decent ECU (hardware) alone can cost in the region of £600 to £1200 and with tuning which could be around £1800 ish in total. Would that be about right or am i off by miles?

Also, what types of Ecu's are out there?

Has anyone had installed a new ECU and what types and what have you found the results to be like. I.e better mpg better response. more umph etc also what was involved? And was it worth the money? :p

thanks for reading

All the best

Alc

There are two reasons for getting new management - you want it or you need it.

If you have a fairly standard car then its a case of want it - the solution favoured by most is to buy UpRev which is Nissan specific engine management. Depending on your engine and mods you will probably see between 10 and 20hp and similar torque increases but more drivability and response, its a good thing.

Cost is £400 including mapping which is pretty decent TBF, Ill get round to it if I dont sell the car first.

If you need it because youve got a lairy car running a turbocharged engine swap then you need to be looking for something a little less generic and a bit more in depth, this is where the £1000 purchase and £500+ mapping costs come in but it will optimise what your engine can do - my last driftcar was overbored, with a huge turbo, injectors that were 300% bigger than normal, cams etc. etc. and it was the only option. On a standard Zed it would only see you the same gains as upRev but for a lot more money ........

Best bet is to mod the car as you plan to, then get upRev from Jez @ Horsham or Abbey to make the most of your modifications. If youre still hungry for power after that, this is when it starts getting expensive :lol:

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Why do you think you need/want a new ECU?

Unless you're going FI or a serious NA build, there's no need for it. Uprev can do anything you need it to do, even on most FI installs too now.

EDIT: Great minds, Doc :)

Edited by Ekona

Horsham AND Abbey have done a lot of work with Syvecs ECU which has a ton of great features on it (inc different levesl of traction control etc).

I'd personally speak to those guys about it if you actually want to do a serious build. - or like others, just uprev.

http://www.syvecs.co.uk/products/s350z/

Edited by RobPhoboS

Why do you think you need/want a new ECU?

Unless you're going FI or a serious NA build, there's no need for it. Uprev can do anything you need it to do, even on most FI installs too now.

EDIT: Great minds, Doc :)

Theres something about fools IIRC as well though Dan .......... ;)

SYVECS on anything without FI would be a waste of cash IMO.

Edited by docwra

There are two reasons for getting new management - you want it or you need it.

If you have a fairly standard car then its a case of want it - the solution favoured by most is to buy UpRev which is Nissan specific engine management. Depending on your engine and mods you will probably see between 10 and 20hp and similar torque increases but more drivability and response, its a good thing.

Cost is £400 including mapping which is pretty decent TBF, Ill get round to it if I dont sell the car first.

If you need it because youve got a lairy car running a turbocharged engine swap then you need to be looking for something a little less generic and a bit more in depth, this is where the £1000 purchase and £500+ mapping costs come in but it will optimise what your engine can do - my last driftcar was overbored, with a huge turbo, injectors that were 300% bigger than normal, cams etc. etc. and it was the only option. On a standard Zed it would only see you the same gains as upRev but for a lot more money ........

Best bet is to mod the car as you plan to, then get upRev from Jez @ Horsham or Abbey to make the most of your modifications. If youre still hungry for power after that, this is when it starts getting expensive :lol:

Thats the whole reason im asking, I was trying to find out if it was worth it, I've seen so much rubbish online saying new ecu can provide you with extra hp at low costs etc, other people saying its rubbish, I thought i would post in here and get my answers, might as well ask the nicest people on the internetz 0.o :p

So just get the uprev and go with that?

thanks guys

That would be my advice.

Some cars (mainly turbos) can respond incredibly to a programmable ECU and a bit of mapping, my brothers Evo saw over 50hp for under an hours work and you only have to look at the diesel gains to see how worthwhile it can be ............

........... but the 350Z is neither turbo or diesel and as such the available gains are relatively limited before you have to start changing hardware, and that rapidly becomes expensive. Get the upRev, make the most of what youve got and if youre still power hungry then sell a kidney or something ;)

• Like 1

I run a haltech platinum pro purely for optimisation with the Nitrous. However even on N/A without NOS I made nice gains over the uprev that was previously done. I think it was around 20hp at the hubs. Lost cruise control though and the cars a bitch to drive slow.

Edited by Neilp