loud clunk when shifting 1st to 2nd

waltzinblack

Hi guys,

Perhaps you can help if you've had a similar issue. Googling/searching forum didn't provide much! As the title says, I have quite a clunk coming from the rear end of the car.

I should note that this is only:

- When pulling away sharply (NO, not traffic light grands prix.. but those occasions when for one reason or another you need to pull into a lane merge etc a bit quicker than the car next to you, or pull out slightly quickly from a roundabout or junction); and

- going through the biggest plight of the Zed owner, the dreaded change from 1st to 2nd.

As we all know and will hopefully admit, the Zed's gearbox is not very refined (especially on a 54 plate car with 95k miles!), and these 'half-fast' shifts from 1st to 2nd are often very easy to make a hash of, and can be very jerky and lurchy. The jerk/lurch itself I am not worried about.

If, as stated above I do a slightly hasty (again, not burnouts away from the lights) pull away, if I do manage to make a hash of the 1st-2nd change, then the car of course lurches forward, and then jerks back again once 2nd is engaged and back on the power. At this point, as the car jerks back, there is a loud, quite deep clunk from the rear.

The clunk does not, as far as I can tell, happen when pulling away in 1st, or when changing from 2nd to 3rd. Although, perhaps it would if I managed to jerk the car enough. I am guessing it is suspension/rear axle/rear subframe related.

Many thanks.

PS - Perhaps others will agree, clunks aside, that this jerk is a thing. I've tried a lot of techniques and I'm sure after 3 and a half years of ownership its the car not me that makes 1st to 2nd jerky! If you do it like a granny, its fine. If you give it the absolute beans and redline it, its fine. It's the in between 'half fast' shifts that are obviously much more commonly required in the real world that seem to be the jerkiest.

Maybe I just can't changed gear and should've stuck with my Automatic Jag!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I was getting a wee clunk and definitely notchy changes from 1-2, 6-5 (so I was going from 1-n-2, then 6-n-5 - not very slow but just enough to help).

H-Dev put Nissan gearbox oil in, this help but just recently - new clutch fluid (RBF600) & hoseteknic (?) braided line has seemingly gotten rid of it now, as well as tightened up the shifting action in the gear stick.

Thanks for the suggestions and replies.

Gearbox oil could probably do with being changed (planned shortly) but I just don't think the clunk is from the gearbox...

The jerkiness is caused by the gear box, but it's the weight transfer onto the rear axle that coincides with the clunk, as opposed to slotting the gears in...

Could be the diff bush? Weight transfer causing stress at the rear and if the bush is worn out this could be causing it?

I believe the diff bush can leak fluid when it's shot... can you get under it and see if it seems wet?