Knocking noise from the front

CharlieGSXR

I have a knocking noise from the front which knocks driving on uneven roads or simply going round a roundabout.

My mechanics and i think it may be the anti roll car links but wanted to see if anybody else has had this problem and it is well known.

We did have it on the ramp yesterday fitting the new exhaust and there is a little bit of play in the links.

Thanks guys

Let us know how you get on Charlie. I've got the same sort of problem but after sorting out the arb bushes and drop links I still have the problem. I'm replacing the shocks next but still not 100% sure on the problem, just waiting for funds to eliminate possibilities

Sent from Tapatalk

• Like 1

Look at the compression arms if they have dropped down then the bush has collapsed. Common issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im getting the same knocking sound from the front passenger side. When you say check to see if the arm has dropped down if so then the bush has collapsed, im guessing you mean dropped down at the bush end? Should you be able to see the bush? Sorry for the dumb question but im new to checking for failed bushes lol. Also if i was to replace the whole banana arm is this to correct part i need? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350-Z-350-Z-FRONT-LOWER-REAR-CONTROL-WISHBONE-ARM-LEFT-HAND-SIDE-N-S-/371063876420?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5665216b44

If so is this all i need as it seems quite cheap compared to the prices i have heard they sell for. Cheers

This is what my failed compression arm bush looked like having dropped down

That is the correct part to replace the whole banana arm though it is not a genuine nissan part unlike the ones from traders on here

post-11244-0-77342900-1400278462_thumb.jpg

Edited by SHEZZA

The knock im getting is quite a dull and it kind of rattles when going over uneven surfaces or speedbumps. I wouldnt say it was a metal rattle, more of a dull rattle if that makes sense? Im guessi g its the ball joint on the banana arm? Might bite the bullet and buy the cheap version and see if it helps. I dont drive the zed much or very far so should last i hope. Has anybody bought the aftermarket version and did it cure the knocking. from what ive read its a very common issue.

Lol trying to view it but struggling. When i zoom in it goes abit blurry haha. Thanks anyway pal.

Try again dude I've just changed it

Ideal mate. I will investigate mine tommorow to see if it looks anything like that. Cheers pal.

Worth checking the anti roll bar links first I'd say as not too dear a fix, before going with the banana arm. Thats what was causing the rattling noise on mine over rough surfaces a low speeds, aswell as the failed banana arm bush.

Is there a way of checking the anti roll bar links without removing it and driving to see if the noise stops? I couldnt rattle it with my hand and made sure the bolts were really tight. It seemed solid. If i do replace the banana arm then i will replace the droplinks also just to be sure.

Also is it an easy job to do yourself? I changed all my suspension myself this week and have never done this before. Is it an easier job or not?

I just got my bushes replaced so had the cougar store do it as they needed to be pressed in. Also the car needs to be in the air and you have to remove a brace I think its called to be able to remove the arm I didn't fancy doing that my self

Is there a way of checking the anti roll bar links without removing it and driving to see if the noise stops? I couldnt rattle it with my hand and made sure the bolts were really tight. It seemed solid. If i do replace the banana arm then i will replace the droplinks also just to be sure.

When mine was up on the ramp at the cougar store with no weight on the wheels you could then move the anti roll bar and then could hear the drop link knocking

Ahhhh lol ok ill think ill leave that for a mechanic to do. How much did they charge to do it if you dont mind me asking? And was it both sides? Should be the same procedure to replace the arm rather than just the bushes as it has to come off either way.

Haha I'd rather not say. I had the super pro up rated bushes fitted . Personal message Mitz at the cougar store he's based in Leicester not too far from you I'm sure he'd be glad to have a look at it for you he comes highly recommend and is very helpful.

• Like 1