Two Weird Zed Questions: a strange noise and a strange feeling

Stutopia

Got a couple of (vague but nagging) Zed questions that have been perplexing me over the last month or so:

1) The noise: at the top of each gear there's a strange sort of noise, just as I shift up and only when I'm 'making progress'. The clutch doesn't slip when the next gear is engaged, or on a hill or otherwise. Don't know if this helps but when it appeared the other day, I got asked, "Do you have a dump valve?".

2) The feeling: sometimes when I make a sharpish turn in or mid roundabout, it feels like the car just slides across an inch underneath me. This isn't the tyres struggling on the road, there's no squeal and I'm not pushing on. It just feels like the whole beast shuffles over an inch to the outside, this is mainly felt via my butt.

Any ideas? Sorry my questions aren't specific, but they definitely really happen! :lol:

(1) Perhaps clutch spiggot bush.

(2) Perhaps soft tyre walls.

(3) Could also be numerous other issues.

Alex. :)

Tyre walls makes sense, cheers Alex, not thunk of that.

Spiggot bush. Is this one of those jobs you do when the clutch is replaced as a "while it's all out, may as well"?

What brand of tyres have you got? Only I had something a little similar when I went for a budget brand one year.....never again, so not worth the bottom clenching on tight corners.

MPSS. Did a quick google after Alex's post. Helpfully the internet has posts on their sidewall being both soft and stiff! :lol:

What brand of tyres have you got? Only I had something a little similar when I went for a budget brand one year.....never again, so not worth the bottom clenching on tight corners.

MPSS. Did a quick google after Alex's post. Helpfully the internet has posts on their sidewall being both soft and stiff! :lol:

Sounds like you mistakenly used Softmints instead of tyres lol. Apparently the Michelins PSS can be a bit sticky.....whatever that means.

• 3 weeks later...

Roundabout side movement could be banana arm bush.

Mine used to do that when it was on its way out it was the arm moving about under load.

Dose it clunk at low speeds on rough ground?

I never really take her off road these days, so not heard any clunking on rough ground :lol: I'll keep my ears open on the speed bumps at work and I'll ask my tech to inspect the arm and bushes next time she's in.

Thanks.