Snapped calliper bolt

Tomb

Right today I set about attempting to change the rear discs and pads on my uk 350z with brembo, all was going swimmingly until it came to undoing the two calliper bolts holding the calliper to the hub.

I spent about half hour trying to undo the top bolt, as I read they are a real pain to get undone, then suddenly the top bolt just gave and snapped!! I have the head and about 3 thread that came out the rest is still in there ... HELP!!!

So I rebuilt the brakes back up and put the wheels back on so she's not just sat on the drive with no wheels on

What are my options guys?!

Here the bolts (well the remains)

44D5A509-DD89-44DE-ADCE-F6EF6773ECE7.jpg

Here a rear view looking through the hub to the calliper with the rest of the bolt still in there :|

B8D2ADBA-1D16-4658-A634-B0386E996DB1.jpg

Edited by Tomb

Gulp, I was planning on doing my discs and pads tomorrow but I think you've just put me off lol. I've had many bolts snap on my whilst working on the Zed so I'm not sure it's such a good idea seeing as japfest is Saturday!

Hope you get it sorted mate

Sent from Tapatalk

I would usually drill through the centre of the broken bolt with a HSS drill bit.

Use a centre punch first to get it spot in the middle

Then after drilling hole, insert a screw extractor to remove remains of the bolt.

I dont know what access is like to do this in situ though, as I've not had to remove my calipers yet.

Someone else may have a better solution!

I would usually drill through the centre of the broken bolt with a HSS drill bit.

Then after drilling hole, insert a screw extractor to remove remains of the bolt.

I dont know what access is like to do this in situ though, as I've not had to remove my calipers yet.

That's how I would do it - but take the other bolt out first and remove the caliper - you need to drill it straight and you won't do that in situ :(

Yep try that first. Once it's off you'll be able to do a much better job also you could put loads of wd40 or petrol in the hole and leave it to stand over night so it can help free the bolt off.

That's how I would do it - but take the other bolt out first and remove the caliper - you need to drill it straight and you won't do that in situ :(

+2.

Also if the snapped bolt isn't flat, then use a Dremel or similar with a grinding attachment to flatten the snapped bolt top. That way you'll be able to centre punch the centre better and hopefully the drill bit won't wonder off centre. Good luck. :thumbs:

As has been said, drill and retap, however it might be easier to just replace the rear caliper.

I have preowned in stock including the caliper bolts and all good to go same/next day.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

Get a tin of Metaflux and don't spare it... Try a pin punch to remove the bolt, it is good stuff and works, failing that then drill and extractor. Even once the extractor is in place, use a spray or good old oil from a can and work the stud out and in, out and in...

Good luck...