Easter Eggs? No thanks, weekend of detailing.

Stutopia

Went back up to the lakes this weekend to see a mate's new purchase, BMW 645 V8 convertible. I'm not a huge fan of beemers but I must admit to being really impressed by how much car he's got for the cash, and also the sound of that V8 when you give it the beans is sensational. The paint on the outside was in very good condition, but it was in need of some love to bring it back to a nice glossy shine. The interior was less well cared for and needed a real going over, god only knows why people let their kids in their cars :lol:

So the whole job took about 9 hours and was a fair bit of work so I didn't take that many pictures along the way sadly, and none of the interior. The car was treated to:

TBW

BH clay with some born sloppy lube

Lime prime lite cleanse

Megs deep crystal polish

AMMO skin

Amourall shield

Auto Finesse wax from last month's waxybox

Tyre gel

C4 permanent trim restorer

Gtechniq matte dash

Auto glym leather cleaner then feed

Auto glym convertible roof clean then seal

Carpet clean

Quick bit of APC to the engine bay plastics (didn't have anything else handy to do this properly)

Before, not in bad nick at all, but a bit flat - not been washed for some time.

IMG_0850_zps6df580e2.jpg

The wheels desperately need a refurb, some kerbing and some of the brake dust has caked right in.

IMG_0849_zps3125136e.jpg

After the initial TBW and clay, naked paint, already looks nice and shiny.

IMG_0863_zps6ff4ffba.jpg

Wheels came up nicely after some brush action and auto glym wheel cleaner.

IMG_0885_zps2db00112.jpg

All done, several hours later.

IMG_0875_zps96b0ecbb.jpg

It's amazing how a day's worth of effort can make a car look really loved, it just needed a bit of Jap power to help fire up that V8 :stir:

IMG_0873_zpsaf97cdbe.jpg

Whilst we were doing the beamer, my mate's Mum's black TT caught my eye. I've not been particularly excited about these before but I must admit I was quite taken by their lines up close and personal. When I saw the black paint I couldn't resist giving it a quick once over. What it really needs is a full paint correction, but we did our best to hide some of the swirls with poor boys liquid natty's and some armourall shield. Didn't have time for a proper job sadly, but I think it came up pretty nicely in the end considering.

Before:

IMG_0913_zpsf2bb5993.jpg

IMG_0845_zpsd3505416.jpg

I'm not sure swirl is a strong enough word!

IMG_0844_zps44808ac6.jpg

Looked much better after some camouflage went on, even managed some nice reflections.

IMG_0916_zps32b07e1b.jpg

IMG_0921_zpse0180aa1.jpg

IMG_0922_zps3460f57c.jpg

I really enjoyed working on the TT, mainly because it was much smaller than the beemer :lol: and the panels are nice and easy to work as they're not that intricate. Not cleaned up black paint before, but it's very much a double edged sword, it looks so nice when it's done, but it shows up every little mark :surrender: I can't decide if the next car should be black or not, think it would drive my OCD tendencies crazy, wish we'd had some black hole glaze on hand.

So after a weekend of washing cars, I've found two cars I quite like the look of - just going to start browsing auto trader...

• Like 1

Nice cars..What boat is that ..? :notworthy:

Not sure TBH, it's one of those floating ones, without sails. I'm not a boat expert if you can't tell :lol:

Very good work SuperStu. ;)

Whilst most people where probably piling on a few pounds today eating chocolate you've probably lost a few working on those two. :lol:;)

Hmmm, last night's pizza and chicken and chips tonight should make sure I don't get too malnourished!

Very good work SuperStu. ;)

Whilst most people where probably piling on a few pounds today eating chocolate you've probably lost a few working on those two. :lol:;)

Hmmm, last night's pizza and chicken and chips tonight should make sure I don't get too malnourished!

:lol:

Nearly forgot.

Where the roof sits on some rubber/plastic trim on the boot there's some white marks all along the edge of where the roof sits. I tired to shift it with some APC and also the trim restorer but it wouldn't move. Any ideas anyone? I assume it's from moisture but I've never had a convertible.

I just did a quick read up on these - quite surprised its "only" 333bhp................just thought that a 4.4 V8 would be more :shrug:

I only had a quick ride in it, but it's very much a GT Cruiser for wafting around Europe, even against the Zed (which is by no means a light sports car) the Zed is a much harder and "dramatic" ride. That's not to take away from it, it's just made for a different experience.