Removing OEM Gas Struts

KurtB

And just as the "Group Buy" thread wraps up... :lol:

Had a go at loosening the top mounts of the struts (the alleged 12mm). It seems that an 11mm spanner is too small and a 12mm spanner is too big!! :(

Can't find an imperial spanner that would fit, although as its jap I imagine it would all be metric anyway.

If I try using the 12mm I'm confident I will just round it off. And I'd rather not cut apart the old strut if I can help it. I've removed the blanks next to both of them and applied WD40, with no success.

So, any ideas? Easy straight-forward job eh?! If not I will have to resort to the adjustable (shudder!) :p

Cheers!

Edited by KurtB

Had a go at fitting my upgraded ones for spoiler but had similar issues - car was due at Abbey a few days after I got them so asked Scott to cover it for me

Never tried this but heard it works. If the spanner or socket is a bit slack put a layer or possibly two of aluminium foil over the nut then push your spanner or better still socket over it and onto the nut. The foil is supposed to take up the slack.

Sounds plausible !

I had the same problem when we got our Zed, couldn't get it off for love nor money. Took it to Nissan they did it for £25 (this was before I found CS or would have gone to them) but just get some help better than the boot lid falling on your head!

Hawker

I had the same problem when we got our Zed, couldn't get it off for love nor money. Took it to Nissan they did it for £25 (this was before I found CS or would have gone to them) but just get some help better than the boot lid falling on your head!

Hawker

Now I've calmed down, I think I may look at getting that done.

Oh the shame of getting a garage to change some boot struts for me! :lol:

Edited by KurtB

Hawker

Now I've calmed down, I think I may look at getting that done.

Oh the shame of getting a garage to change some boot struts for me! :lol:

Not sure why yours are so bad! Mine were just nipped up nicely.

Some cars have loctite on the threads, but this can usually be loosened with a little heat. Something like a kitchen blowtorch or a gas soldering iron.

Finally!!! That was emotional :lol:

It took a lot of WD, force and swearing but we finally got them! Once they cracked off they come out easily by hand, new ones were on in 5 minutes.

I made sure the new ones aren't torqued up to infinity NM :)

Edit - oh by the way, no garage / professionals required haha

Edited by KurtB
  • Like 1