Would anyone be interested in a drive to france?

Jared350z

I was thinking the other day about organising a forum trip to france for a day or two. Not your normal cruise I know but I don't know if its been done before. If we made it a 2 day cruise you could bring your partner as well, 2 birds one stone.

I know a few of you are further north but still it really isn't that far and would be fun to explore some new roads and places. If people were willing I'd be more than happy to organise it and make it a interesting little trip.

Its just an idea so would be cool to hear what you think.

Jared

• Like 1

I'll never understand all this with insurance in the UK not covering Europe. :wacko: My insurance in Luxembourg covers me everywhere throughout Europe (and globally depending on how ambitious I'm feeling for a drive!)

As for your plan Jared, any specific area of France you wanted to go to?

As you'll be either P&Oing it or Channel tunnel, you could just as easily go through Belgium, Luxembourg (where I'm based - for a quick and cheaper fill-up) and Nurburgring. The issue with France is the toll roads. For example, you'll usually be paying around £70+ to drive down to Nice/Cannes and then you have the same outlay on the way up.

Another option would be to travel through Germany and Switzerland to Italy - bit of Stelvio Pass and Milan... all depends how much driving you intend to do in a day.. :thumbs:

Im game for this, but as a starter I suggest the same thing, but to the west coast of scotland....

Just as there are good roads there, its simpler with insurance and its easier for most to get to...

The one problem with france, is until you get to the alps, its dull as f00*

I'll tell you the main problem with France... The police. If you are even 1kph over the speed limit you get done! No 10% rule there. Germany you have the autobahn which is literally 10 minutes drive from where I am now... gotta love those stretches of unlimited speed :) nurburgring, Black Forest, as you say: the alps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

France can be relatively dull, but there are some fantastic country roads in Luxembourg (more than you'd think) with chateaus and good scenery.. and the tarmac is ridiculously smooth :)

Yes, I'd love to do Luxemborg and that area... but that is 9 hrs from me, through boring countryside...

Whereas, for example, northern spanish mountains, are 14 hrs from me, down the french coast.

I'd rather do the latter as I feel the journey would be more interesting...

Club Member in Luxembourg + great drive through the Ardennes. Belgian Beer and cuisine - I'd be up for a UK to Luxembourg drive

• Like 1

Black forest etc would be appealing, take the train as its never going to be rough assuming sufficient clearance for zeds! But two days proably not long enough to make it reasonable, also like the suggestion of Scotland as a taster/ starter with some nice roads.

You need to put dates and a route up then see who will commit but in principal sounds good to me.

The scotland idea does sound good as a taster. The UK to luxembourg does sound better than france, not quite sure why I said france as the point brought up are valid and i agree. would have to look into insurance shouldn't be a big deal though.

Jared we did central France in my zed 4 years ago. It was fab and your exhaust noise echos around small villages when you pass through them. People dont know what they are and you receive a great reaction.

If you are lucky and see French zed owners , they go wild when they see you, flashing, bibbing waving like crazy.

Tip: get a decent satnav mine took us down a forestry commission route, yes offroading in a zed - tough cars.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yes, I'd love to do Luxemborg and that area... but that is 9 hrs from me, through boring countryside...

Whereas, for example, northern spanish mountains, are 14 hrs from me, down the french coast.

I'd rather do the latter as I feel the journey would be more interesting...

Quite agree. I'm planning on doing the Pyrenees in June

• 3 weeks later...

Did UK -> Eurotunnel -> France -> Belgium -> Netherlands -> Germany -> My Wedding -> Switzerland -> Italy -> France (Nice) -> Italy (Milan) -> Switzerland -> Germany -> Netherlands -> Belguim -> France -> Eurotunnel -> UK

Italy was most costly toll wise, Switzerland has the best toll system ever

Edited by BulletMagnet

I'm game for any time around July if anyone is gonna do this? Rugby season is over by then for me and my weekends are freed up!

Doing a road trip to France next week in mine. Brittany for 4 days then cruise to see my brother near Bordeaux for a few days. all before getting back for the Wales meet. Covering a few miles but will post findings and possible venues?