I've just gone and bought an old mans car

ioneabee

Get the XC90.

Volvo has been carrying out winter testing on the all-new XC90 and we have arrived on the very last day of cold weather testing. The engineers are about to shift across the world in search of heat and humidity, as the XC90 enters the final 12 months of development.

The Swedish engineers have two test cars on hand. One is powered by Volvo’s range topping petrol-fired VEA engine (which has both a turbocharger and a supercharger) and the other has a high-performance version of the VEA diesel that has proved so effective in the S60. Both have mechanical all-wheel drive.

The XC90 is based on Volvo’s new SPA architecture, which can be stretched from 4.55m to 5.07m long and will be used as the basis of all future 40-, 60- and 90-series models. This platform uses a great deal of high-strength and ultra-high strength steel in its construction, but the company claims the XC90 will be the lightest car in its class.

The front strut towers, however, are made from cast aluminum, which improves the stiffness of the mounting for the double-wishbone front suspension. These towers are glued and riveted to the steel bulkhead and inner wings.

In the metal, the XC90 is a big and imposing car. In fact, it is just 100mm longer and marginally wider than the old model but has a wider stance, longer wheelbase, flatter sides and a more imposing nose styling. It is also clearly much more spacious than the current car.

A contribution to this is Volvo’s ‘new generation’ seats, which are markedly thinner than previously and now incorporate a wider range of adjustments and even the option of extendable seat squabs.

With a tall driver in the front seat, there’s a remarkable amount of rear legroom for the second-row passengers. Volvo also claims that the third row of seats can now accommodate an adult, if not for long journeys.

I head off out onto the ice-bound test tracks with R&D boss Peter Mertens in a petrol-powered XC90 mule. With around 300bhp on tap, it has an impressive pace. Mertens takes the car up to 200kmh (around 125mph) and two things stand out. Or, more precisely, don't.

Firstly, the sound of the new VEA four-cylinder engine is remarkably cultured. Even when it is being stretched, it has a remarkably refined, somewhat electric hum. Mertens said that, having abandoned five- and six-cylinder engines, they had considered ‘manipulating’ the engine noise. Clearly, there’s no need.

Secondly, all-round refinement seems a particular strong point, with Mertens claiming that the company has borne down on noise from “all sources… something our rivals don’t always seem to doâ€.

The interior is dominated by the 9.5-inch portrait-format touchscreen – immediately propelling Volvo into a lead over premium car rivals. Where rivals are button-heavy, only a volume knob and six tiny conventional switches intrude on the XC90’s interior. The touchscreen has been fitted with an “expensive filter'' to stop it reflecting in the windscreen and can also be operated by a gloved hand, something not possible with most smartphones.

Despite the XC90’s size, the view out is impressive, something Mertens said that the company worked hard on. The A-pillars seem thinner than before, the mirrors are mounted on stalks to further improve the view forward.

More important than this, it seems that this Volvo rides far better than any previous model I can recall. One of the traditional Volvo flaws has long been something of a ‘stumbling’ ride and thumping heavily across sharp edges.

The new XC90 would appear to be a giant leap in the right direction. Even when hitting the edge of packed ice on the test track the new chassis did a pretty impressive job smothering the impact. The unusual use of sophisticated double wishbone suspension – combined with a multi-link axle at the rear – will put all the new SPA-based Volvos in a very strong position when it comes to tuning the handling.

A further couple of laps in the diesel-powered XC90 prototype only confirmed what we already know about this engine and the matching 8-speed autobox: it’s a class-leading combination that has refinement and punch to spare.

With “80 per cent of the chassis tuning completed and around 65 per cent of the rest of the car finished†it’s quite understandable why the Volvo engineering bosses were so bullish. For a car that has been in 3D creation for less than a year, the new XC90 is remarkably polished already.

Combining the usual Volvo virtues with class-leading engines and – finally – a front-drive chassis that is competitive with the best could

:thumbs:

she's still safely tucked up in my version of the zed shed

Hopefully not in bit's though. :surrender::lol::D

thats why its "my" version

if i took it apart I'd be very eco friendly ie lots of bits left over after it got re-built :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

just had an update from the garage - delivery date amended to 10th July from 10th June - WTF is that all about - that will be 4 and a half months from placing order.

they have said (obviously) that prices and px will be anaffected but we will get the later version ie now getting the MY15 version instead of the MY15 version previously ordered :wacko:

• 2 months later...

well, the day finally arrived

a nice shiny new beige volvo is sitting on the drive - piccies to follow shortly

but i will say its very confortable :D

what can i say :shrug: ................... but aren't you older than me, and don't you have a Jag :p

Both true but my jag isn't a beigey brown with a cream interior :lol:

Just needs some burl walnut & tartan rug on the back seat :p

A nice motor just wouldn't have been my colour combo choice, but then what do you expect from someone that drives a poo brown Zed :lol:

Bet it's a nice drive, a derv I take it? 2l turbo?

XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 AWD 181hp geartronic.........its hell of a mouthfull

2.4 derv

options added

auto

seashell metallic

sunroof

winter pack

heated rear seats

privacy glass

space saver wheel (instead of the gel)

Edited by ioneabee

Bet it's a nice drive, a derv I take it? 2l turbo?

XC60 SE LUX NAV D4 AWD 181hp geartronic.........its hell of a mouthfull

2.4 derv

options added

auto

seashell metallic

sunroof

winter pack

heated rear seats

privacy glass

space saver wheel (instead of the gel)

Perfect luxury wafting when with the family :thumbs:

• Like 1