The garage Queen is Overheating

Beavis

Taxed the zed yesterday and got it out for a run for the first time this year!! Everything was fine until I noticed the temperature guage going higher than normal whilst ticking over on my driveway. Lifted the bonnet and the fans were not kicking in but if I spun them by hand they started to run!! What exactly is the issue with these crap motors? I have heard that the bushes stick in them............car has only done 20k :surrender:

I am tempted to take them off this weekend and strip them down to have a look at them.

I'm sure a man of your calibre can give the motor a quick strip down if its possible Dave? Seem to be a common fault anyway, I would guess the comm and brushes (if it has them) just needs a clean out.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this one of these types of issues that is actually more prevalent in garage queens, with the part more likely to seize after being unused for some time? Maybe it was going to happen regardless, but I do wonder about this sort of issue in cars parked up for a long time.

Its the brushes mate, they stick in there holders and don't make good contact Easy job to fix but a bit of a nightmare to get them out. Involves disconnecting coolant hoses and can get a wee bit messy.

May be worth giving them a wee knock with a hammer to see if they loosen off themselves.

Is this one of these types of issues that is actually more prevalent in garage queens, with the part more likely to seize after being unused for some time? Maybe it was going to happen regardless, but I do wonder about this sort of issue in cars parked up for a long time.

That's what I was thinking, my battery died after the Zed remained unused for a couple of months and it was only a couple of years old.

Pete

Battery draining is a common issue with anything relatively recent that is parked up for a month or so. There are a lot of electronics that draw a small current when in standby, enough to slowly deplete the battery.

If I ever park a car up for a while, I try to fit a battery conditioner or failing that properly charge the battery every few weeks.