New Server PC for a small business

ioneabee

I've always used standard components for this business and previously running off windows xp pro

I'm due to upgrade this system this week

are there any particular recomendations for hardware and windows 7 versions I should be looking at

there are 5 additional pc's running off the server

Edited by ioneabee

I'm confused, are you wanting a server or a PC?

What is it being used for? If it's a server, why run Windows 7 and not 2012?

I'm confused by your question

individual programs etc are run of the individual pc with a network connection to a central PC (or server) where all data is stored and accessed

the business is a private dental practice - i started looking after it when they had 1 pc and all their records were on paper

I'm not a network expert but have repaired and looked after single pc's for years - what i have is self taught (but that knowledge is getting a little strained these days)

the reason i said windows 7, is because I know it.................i have no experience of Server 2012 at all.........and that makes me nervous - i have to have him up and running over the weeked

for the bootable hard drive, is an SSD an option or should it be steared clear of ?

thanks

i work in a university we have lots of old @*!# ones here aswel as brand spanking, alot of them are old optiplex machines with 6gb of ram and xp pro, they seem to hold up ok, so im sure if your not familiar with 2012, use 7 pro. 8gb ram and it should be fine especially with that little amount of pc's

I'm confused, are you wanting a server or a PC?

What is it being used for? If it's a server, why run Windows 7 and not 2012?

I'm confused by your question

individual programs etc are run of the individual pc with a network connection to a central PC (or server) where all data is stored and accessed

the business is a private dental practice - i started looking after it when they had 1 pc and all their records were on paper

I'm not a network expert but have repaired and looked after single pc's for years - what i have is self taught (but that knowledge is getting a little strained these days)

the reason i said windows 7, is because I know it.................i have no experience of Server 2012 at all.........and that makes me nervous - i have to have him up and running over the weeked

for the bootable hard drive, is a SSD an option or should it be steared clear of ?

thanks

Ok, I understand now.

The PC you have is being used to serve files. The reason I would normally steer clear of using a desktop OS (XP, Vista, 7 or 8) is because I'm pretty sure they have to remain logged on by a user for the services to be running (this was certainly true for XP, I'm not certain if this has changed sinced). With a server OS the services continue to run even without a user logged on.

If you are only familiar with desktop versions of Windows, I wouldn't suggest trying to user a server version if you don't have some time to learn it. On the face of it 2012 looks identical to Windows 8 but under the hood it's quite different.

As for SSD drives, they are fine as daily drivers if you need speed. However, they are an 'expensive' luxury for a five user server, especially as I imagine you need lots of space rather than lots of speed.

Typically with all things computers it comes down to budgets. The more you can spend the more future proofing you can do.

EDIT - If you are using an SSD for the OS and then a big spindle drive for the file storage I can't see there being much benefit other than to boot times. It would be worth it only if the server gets restarted often.

Edited by :RedZed:

ah - brilliant advice - thanks

the server is always being used by the practice manager - so no issue with it being logged on

i'll steer clear of ssd for now then as there will be the boot drive and a 2tb spindle drive - start up speed is not critical - reliability and stability is

Yes, a couple of people have mentioned a RAID. A basic mirrored RAID (RAID1) would be sufficient but you should really go for a hardware RAID over a software RAID. This is where you have an extra bit of hardware (normally a PCI-express expansion card but could be built into the motherboard) to create a RAID rather than some software that runs inside Windows. Software RAIDs are terrible and a nightmare to work with. There is no replacement for decent backups however!

I must admit the title threw me too.

I can't add much except endorse husky and redzed about RAID And a well planned backup/recovery strategy.

It does however bug me that being able to fix a desktop doesn't make a good solutions designer. No offence OP but it sounds like you don't understand the requirements of the business owner apart from a file/print server and an individual client and if it all goes south (no offence southerners) the business owner is going to look to you to recoup any damage reputation all or financial. I'd have an agreed statement of work in place before I touched this with a barge pole of I was you...

I've been thinking about my response while preparing dinner. I feel I may be coming across as harsh.

I think it's important to remember that the "small dental practice" has an onligation to its patients, regulators and employees to ensure the platform is for for purpose.

This will include

Documentation: testing, design. Install and support.

secure data

Discoverable data

Backed up data which can be recoverd from.

Audit log

Stable and robust.

Those are just some of the reasons why "I'll cut cost and get my mate to do it" type installs bug me. It's not just a matter of throwing in a bit of tin and installing some bits on the tin.

Hope I'm being informative rather than coming across as a rant :)

Oh and kudos, i was self taught when I first started in this career :thumbs:

• Like 1

Fodder - I hear your pain and do agree to a certain extent - but I do know hardware !!

I will be getting someone in to check up the networking side of things

Not quite sure where you think I don't understand the needs of the business though?

backup solutions, raid etc has all been considered and is already being done in any case - I have indemnity insurance as well :)

I do accept that this is heading into the regions that I would prefer not to cover, so may just hand it over once i've built the platforms

edit - ah, extra info whilst I was typing - come back to that in a mo

Edited by ioneabee

No worries, I admit I've read a little between the lines but the term "a 2tb spindle drive for data" suggested you were thinking of space as opposed to protection and that I would think would be at odds with the owner. The use of spindle suggests a single drive.

Don't you just hate folks posting while you're replying?! :lol: