Need some experienced camshaft advice

Arran

Afternoon all

Long story short im to'ing and fro'ing with the idea of a set of cams namely Tomei, I have a bit of a dilemma which im hoping someone can give me some advice on.

Tomei list cams for each model of 350, The G1 model is for the DE, the G2 for the REVUP and G3 for the HR. Mine is a DE

The Poncam are specifically drop in cams, no valve spring upgrade required and timing is pre set on the nock pins. So literally drop in

Here is the specs from Tomei

ENGINE

APPLICATION

DURATION

(Deg)

MAX CAM

LIFT (mm)

IN/EX

MAX VALVE

LIFT mm)

COLD VALVE

CLEARANCE

(mm)[±0.01]

VALVE TIMING

CENTER LINE

(Deg)

BASE

CIRCLE

PART

NO.

MSRP

(USD)

VQ35DE EARLY

(-05.09)

Z33 MT & AT

IN

ø35.40

$880.00

V35 4Dr/2Dr

MT

EX

VQ35DE LATE

(-07.01)

Z33 MT

IN

EX

VQ35HR

Z33 MT

IN

EX

PLEASE NOTE Upgrading the Valve Springs is required when using Camshafts with Cam Lift greater than 11.0mm (sold separately). When using Camshafts with Cam lift greater than 11.0mm on the intake side there is a chance that the valves can come into contact with the piston when the eVTC advances the timing. In this case it is highly recommended to recess the pistons to guarantee adequate clearance.

Example: The standard advance amount with the stock head and stock pistons with the eVTC will require approximately 1mm valve recess on the piston.

Note the info at the bottom about anymore than 11.0mm of lift will require upgraded valve springs and the valve may come into contact with the piston. The advice im after is could i use the G2 (REVUP) in my DE being that the lift on the G2 is 10.8mm as opposed to the G1 which is 10.2mm so still under 11.0mm but would i be risking it to much as the clearance would only be 0.2mm. My car is uprev'd which i believe the limiter has moved up to 7000rpm, i have never gone into the red (past 6600rpm) and wouldnt start to either regardless of what camshaft i used.

If anyone could help with this issue that would be brilliant, Only considering using the G2 as they are available from a member on here ready to go so would save me so time and money importing the G1 from the US

Thanks guys

Arran

If you're not looking to raise the rev limit or use the top end power, I'm not sure I'd bother with a set of cams.

Whether they'll fit or not is a different matter, but given how close they are and the cost involved in doing the work, I wouldn't fit these without also fitting better springs, false economy.

The Tomei ones do give good gains throughout the rev range without raising the limiter or having it all up top, thats what the Procam's are for i believe as you can have 272+ duration which would be all up top. The G1 has a duration of 256 and the G2 264 so nice and streetable.Ive been told that the G2 cams available were fitted into a DE without issue but im a bit reluctant to use them at the moment without knowing an awful lot of info yetThe work involved inst to much of an issue as the rockers will be off anyway :)

Edited by Arran

I have used poncams on a different engine, if they say that they will fit with no problems they should be fine, springs shouldn't be needed, as the poncams are designed especially for minor power upgrade to std motors with hydraulic lifters, I strongly suspect you will need to use a little more RPM to achieve the extra power/torque though, I did despite what they say, it seemed to push the ideal change RPM up by about 4-500 rpm.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry Rob only just seen this, I am indeed not on here much anymore. Will be breaking my car up in the next few weeks so all my stuff will be up for sale

I didn't go for them in the end as they weren't the right cams for mine, if they were they'd already be in a running :)

If I was looking to do it I'm not sure id buy new ones tbh as the cost is a lot if that's all your doing labour wise, mine would have been done whilst the heads were open, if a set of used ones came up and you could stump up the money for mapping after then go for it, I'm sure it would be a nice upgrade, I would recommend manifolds like I did though, makes a nice different to performance and sound. Also flywheel wakes them right up

Need anymore info mate drop me a pm be happy to answer, also show up when I have a message :lol:

Many thanks, I've just sent a PM over, so hopefully you'll get that :lol:

My intentions would be to do cams/valves/manifold/new rocker covers hah/re-map again (Bennett I'll be in touch! ;)).

Although at the moment, I'm concentrating on the chassis, doing piece by piece when I can.

Sorry Rob only just seen this, I am indeed not on here much anymore. Will be breaking my car up in the next few weeks so all my stuff will be up for sale

I didn't go for them in the end as they weren't the right cams for mine, if they were they'd already be in a running :)

If I was looking to do it I'm not sure id buy new ones tbh as the cost is a lot if that's all your doing labour wise, mine would have been done whilst the heads were open, if a set of used ones came up and you could stump up the money for mapping after then go for it, I'm sure it would be a nice upgrade, I would recommend manifolds like I did though, makes a nice different to performance and sound. Also flywheel wakes them right up

Need anymore info mate drop me a pm be happy to answer, also show up when I have a message :lol:

Sorry to see you won't be around buddy,good luck with whatever your up to next!