Ultimate wash and wax anywhere.

Steel Lynx

Decided to give this a go at some point. I live in a flat with no means of getting a hose out to where my car is parked and the people that used to let me use their hose have moved away (and taken the hose with them!)

I'm thinking I'll take it to a jet wash and use the lance ( I refuse to use the brushes as they're always filthy and probably holding a ton of grit ) then use the wash and wax anywhere (not sure whether to risk drying it first)

The car's not filthy by any means as it's only rained once since I spent 6 hours cleaning it a couple of weeks ago and it still looks pretty good, although there is a layer of dust on it which will probably have bonded a bit by now. Has anyone tried this method? Any tips or advice would be welcome :)

I'm basically in the same situation. You don't need a hose just use the 2 bucket method and carry the buckets to your car. I can park on double yellows outside my flat and as I'm always with my car the wardens aren't bothered.

If the cars mega dirty I'll go to the jet wash and use the lance, but I'll take my own bucket and wash mit. Use the lance to rinse the car and fill up a bucket with the lance plus my own shampoo, the lance will agitate the shampoo into a good lather. I then use the wash mit to clean the car and give it a final rinse with the lance. Then dry it in the bay and move it somewhere close (preferably still in the garage) and apply Selant/Gloss and Wax. I wouldn't use the shampoo that comes with the jet wash, it'll probably be cheap/nasty and strip away the layers of wax on your car.

If you don't want to dry/wax the car at the jet wash it'll only need a quick rinse back at yours to get rid of the water marks. A soaking wet mit will probably do. a whole car

Also looking into waterless washes. I use chemical guys quick detailer and about 3 to 4 micro fibres towel to do a full waterless wash. I aim for a waterless wash at least one month and use the 2 bucket method every 2 to 3 months. I don't really use the jet wash much, unless my car has been hit by seagulls!

There are a few tips in this video, but nothing you shouldn't be able to figure out yourself.

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 1

Scratchy scratchy.

Go to the jet wash and take your cleaning stuff with you. You'll look a ****, but at least your car will look pretty.

It can't be that bad surely? Otherwise they wouldn't sell it would they? I'm not saying you're wrong, just trying to get as much information as I can before I use it (I'd hate to think I wasted my money)

If you feel too embarrassed bringing 2 buckets with you try this.

Bring 3-4 2 litre pump sprayers(£3.50 at Asda) filled with shampoo, a pre wash spray (eg Demon Machine Rapid Dirt Shifter) and your mitt.

Pop in pound and pressure rinse.

Cover car in prewash spray.

Wash car with your mitt in right hand and a constant stream of clean shampoo from your spryer in left hand.

Due to lack of rinse bucket the prewash and constant stream of shampoo will help to lube the surface and reduce grit.

Then pressure rinse.

Try just doing the rims with a pump sprayer and wheel brush/mitt first.

It will be faster and less IN YOUR FACE easing you into not feeling so embarrassed.

Also go when it's quiet.

I do it at night at Tescos before my shopping when I don't have time at home .

This will probably make a few of you wince but I decided to try out that wash and wax anywhere stuff at the jet wash today. First I gave it a thoroughly good rinse with the lance then pulled out of the bay as there were about 5 people waiting. Started on the front bumper and the bonnet (as I'm planning to get them both resprayed soon) As it turns out it has done a good job from what I can make out. Typically it hailed about 10 minutes later and then carried on raining so it's covered in crap again..... I will find out for sure next time I give it a proper wash, paint cleaner, polish and wax but Didn't see any scratches that weren't on there already. I won't be using it again until I've given it a proper clean though just to make sure.

It's not so much the scratches, it's the swirls.

That said, by rinsing first you'll minimise it, but you can't get everything off just using a jet wash and you'll be rubbing the remainder into the paintwork. It just makes life harder when you next polish, as you'll have a load more to deal with.