Auto express review

sinbad

I have to dissagree with the "tiring on long journeys" point.

Having covered just over 2500 miles in two weeks on the Euro trip, including two single day journeys of over 400 miles, and one of 380, I feel I can speak with some experience on the matter.

After each of those journeys I can conclude that I got out of the car feeling a whole lot less tired than had I done the journey in my Golf, or even the Altea which is a little larger.

It may well have been the French motorways, as I also feel they are a lot less tressful to drive on than our own.

The 350 eats up the miles, perhaps not as easily as some executive saloon or boat on wheels, but I do not feel the 350 is any worse than a typical family hatchback for taking its toll on long journeys, and in my opinion better than some.

The wind noise I do not think is high either, however Im comparing this to my previous Golf (aerodynamic as a brick), our Mazda MX5 (v high wind noise), and my previous cars (typical 90s brick like design).

It is probably higher wind noise than the altea, but there have been specific design elements put on the altea to reduce wind noise (windscreen wipers hiding in the A pillars for example).

Average MPG of 19.8 I can beleive if they did quite a lot of urban driving. We averaged well above that in Europe, but that was majority extra urban.

If you care that much about MPG, you dont buy a car with a 3.5l engine in the first place.

If you care that much about MPG, you dont buy a car with a 3.5l engine in the first place.

I'm with you on that Chesterfield. As for wind noise - buy a car that's designed for absolute comfort or pottering about. Long journey comfort - I've always found sports cars more comfortible than regular cars. Their driving position is too high and my knees hurt about a few hours.

Guy

I would say the mpg rate is about right as thats what I get if I purly do the short drives to work in the car.

Windy - I find it can be sometimes. Last night for some reason it was really noticeable.

Tiring - Hmm I would not agree with that one. The long journeys I have done in it i.e. Southampton -> Leeds were so easy and I did not have any problems. Cruise control also makes its much easier to drive

Wind noise is probably high compared to other 07 cars, i.e the TT and Z4. But i can live with that.

I don't think its tiring on long journeys and i spent 10hrs in the Zed picking up my exhaust in December. had no problems at all.

Mpg - yeah if they've been doing alot of spirited driving. I average around 25 mpg with both town and motorway driving.

Wind noise is probably high compared to other 07 cars, i.e the TT and Z4. But i can live with that.

I don't think its tiring on long journeys and i spent 10hrs in the Zed picking up my exhaust in December. had no problems at all.

Mpg - yeah if they've been doing alot of spirited driving. I average around 25 mpg with both town and motorway driving.

I drove back from Cornwall on Monday morning - 250 odd miles at an average of 90 ish (funny how you can find that many private roads) and got 30mpg , which I thought was fantastic. Got out fresh as a daisy after a really enjoyable drive. I could have driven straight back !

I have to say I normally get 22mpg in mixed driving though.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

+1 - Wind noise can be confused with cabin noise though which I would say is greater due to the open rear.

Not tiring IMO, how can seats that comfy with the torque of a V6 tire you?

I get 25mpg (almost 26) on average. Harder driving 20 or just under. But it is a 3.5L lump. :dry:

+1 - Wind noise can be confused with cabin noise though which I would say is greater due to the open rear.

+2 - I notice this a lot on my daily commute on the M4. Some days I hardly notice it being loud, but others, esp when wet its really loud. This is not wind noise though, its cabin noise, mainly from the road. I'm thinking of sound deadening it all behind the seats, boot etc but a bit daunted by taking it all apart.

+2 - I notice this a lot on my daily commute on the M4. Some days I hardly notice it being loud, but others, esp when wet its really loud. This is not wind noise though, its cabin noise, mainly from the road. I'm thinking of sound deadening it all behind the seats, boot etc but a bit daunted by taking it all apart.

Fitting a tonneau and getting rid of the Bridgestones will help.

Have Toyo's (which did help) and am about to partake in install, so noise will be a thing of the past! :D

I regularily commute from Cumbria to London, sometimes with the roof down ( but not too often recently.

Find the car very comfortable and even with the Nismo zorst its easy on the ears.

Six hour drive and only bother to stop for fuel so no issues here. :teeth:

Yeah I average about 26mpg with normal mixed driving......

Then drop around 20 ish with lead boots on. Can't really grumble when its a 3.5L sports car!

I know if you do motorway a lot you can easily get up to around 30mpg very easily..... :)

Have a tonneau on there already and have some Pirrelli Pzero Rosso on there from the former owner. Tonneau did help a bit. Just bought some of this stuff, which I hope will help a bit more - Second Skin Damplifier Bulk Kit. Had good feedback for it. Gonna do behind the rear cubby compartments (sub and glovebox out), the boot and then see what I have left.

Looks like good stuff. Not cheap but if it gets the job done, then got to be worth it :thumbs:

Not cheap, but not the most expensive either. As this is my daily driver (60 miles a day :scare: ) I need it to be bearable. Its not that its unbearable at the moment but this will make it much nicer. Thinking of adding some closed cell foam on top as thats meant to stop the airbourne noise. Next up then will be Second Skin Spectrum which is a liquid dampner to add to those places I cant do with matt. This will prob go where I have the matt plus the footwell/under the seat. Then she should be nice n quiet :thumbs: Will probably cost £150 all in which is far cheaper than other mods for the car.