Anybody replaced the factory Satnav with a tablet?

EvansJD2112

Not seen one with out a cubby, so not sure what it looks like but I mounted a generic phone holder in my cubby. If you've just got a hole it may work. I then took the easy route to mounting a tablet, but you'd need the cubby door.

I now use the mount to hold a 120g ipod classic.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/76772-mounting-a-tablet/

I have just fitted a 7" sat nav tablet which replaced my jap nav screen. It fits really well, I have used one of the original nav buttons as an on / off switch for the tablet and hard wired the 12v supply into the nav button harness.

I have just fitted a 7" sat nav tablet which replaced my jap nav screen. It fits really well, I have used one of the original nav buttons as an on / off switch for the tablet and hard wired the 12v supply into the nav button harness.

How did you wire on/off button?

Did you hardwire to permanent power or switched?

Will be installing Tasker to manage power states, so was planning on using switched power but my worry was getting the tablet back on if its battery drains

Hi, I opened the tablet and removed the wires to the tablet on / off button and extended them with soldered connections and heat shrink. I then routed the wires down to the nav button unit.

I stripped down the nav button unit down to the circuit board.

Initially I wanted to use the round multi function button on the right hand side but it is not a true on off button as it still provides a resistive path when pressed.

I used the TV button in the end by drilling through the circuit board with a tiny Dremmel drill bit either side of the switch terminals and soldering the extended wires to it.

I used a multimeter to identify an ignition live supply from the nav button harness plug and stripped down the cigarette charger for the tablet.

I soldered an inline 2amp fuse holder and soldered the wiring together.

The tablet charges when the ignition is turned on.