Mounting a tablet.

Randy_Baton

Hi,

I've got a nexus 7 and was planning on using it as a Sat Nav on long journeys. using my iphone for every day trips. My Plan is a s follows:

Mount my iphone in the cubby using a foam cut out (think camera lens case etc.), that allows the cubby to shut. Any one know th inne dimensions of the cubby ( when shut) ?

Mount my nexus on the front cover of the cubby, but I'm not sure how to do this. I don't want the mount visible when its not in use so it needs to be easily removable. My ideas for this so far are:

1) some how using one of those circular suction pads. Not sure if they are strong enough or if there are issues gripping the cubby as the front isn't smooth, I also don't know how to attach them to my tablet.

2) Some sort of rubber band contraption that loops around the cubby and the tablet.

Anyone else got any ideas/thoughts?

The main idea is to have my iphone inside the cubby playing music and the nexus outside the cubby doing the Sat Nav/Internet etc.

Many thanks

#EDIT

I think option 2 is going to be the easiest, i already have a case with a front cover if a flip the cover over to the back I could then stick it behinds some rubber bands wrapped around the cubby. My case is a couple of mm wider than the cubby so the bands won't really be visible. Only question would be the stress the bands place on the cubby release catch. I think the tablet might be heavy enough to hold the cubby down and release some pressure.

I'm have no luck sourcing the bands though. Think I need 6-8" length, 0.5" width preferably in black made with rubber or silicone.

Edited by Randy_Baton

I keep toying with this idea. I quite like the mounts with spring loaded extendable arms so you have some options on devices. I can only see it happening if I could either fit an arm inside the cubby which would fold away on close, or possibly just bite the bullet and bolt/fix the arm to the cubby lid then abandon the cubby. I'm half tempted to try as mine is scratched anyway, so it can take a knock and I'll live with it.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045072079076045085078056066085/Default.aspx

I've actually just gone down this route for holding an iphone inside the cubby :). I took the back off an old window phone mount and screwed it in to a piece of backing board I had lying around.

Still a WIP, need to add a felt cover to the backboard (and take a better picture!)

Still having trouble trying source some rubber bands big enough to go round the cubby and wide enough to offer support. :rant: . There are plenty of options from america but with P&P most options are coming out to >£20. Seems a bit much for a rubber band, especially as I'm not sure it will work.

Edited by Randy_Baton

I've decide a big loop of elastic is probably the simplest way to attach my Tablet to the cubby. I've got some 3inch wide stuff and I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to turn it into a loop without resorting to getting out the sewing kit!

I've tried wonder web but the bond isn't strong enough and I melted the elastic using the iron :fool: ....

Anyway I've covered the iphone mount, got a bit of glue on the front but you can't really see it in the cubby so may leave it.

I rounded of the edges and cut off one of the corners to allow for cabling. Coved the front in a layer of white backing felt then wrapped some black felt round the front and super glued it down.

Yes, I ended super glued some of the felt to my fingers so now have what look like hairy finger tips...

I mounted my holder slightly off centre so the volume buttons on my iphone were still accessible.

IMG 1576

IMG 1578

IMG 1582

IMG 1580

IMG 1585

IMG 1587

IMG 1591

Edited by Randy_Baton