Auto or Manual

flyboy

Never thought I would ask this question but there is an Auto just come onto the market close to me.

Never had an auto before and never crossed my mind before to buy one but

7 speed, flappy paddle gearshift, and the option of a 5 stage uprev retune seems tempting

Wondering if its worth the trip over to see it.

The auto is still the older style system, you know the thing you might find on camper vans and old mercs. Admittedly a very good version of it, but it's still a torque converter. It's ok, but not a patch on the modern auto dual clutch gearboxes.

I test drove both on buying and went with the manual because it was much more engaging.

Edited by AJRFulton
  • Like 1

Very much a personal preference ( I have a manual) but I have yet to hear of any issues with the auto box, unlike the manual boxes.

In a straight line the auto is reckoned to be slighty quicker but for me I found the 7 ratios did not suit our more twisty roads, whereas across the pond (for example) I have no doubt it would be the box of choice. Also, if you regularly have to use the car in traffic the auto will probably be more suitable.

• Like 1

Plus you get the wonderful synchro rev on the manual, which will make you just change gears for the sake of changing gears.

Such a brilliant yet simple innovation the Z has, you wonder why it took until 2009 for it to be on a production car!

Er...you also get the wonderful synchro rev on the auto, and you get 7 gears to play with!

I deliberated long and hard over which box to go for, I don't regret getting the auto one bit. I also have use of the company Merc (new model) and the Nissan box is streets ahead in terms of drive-ability and smoothness. No comparison to be made with camper vans and older Mercs! :dry:

And I fully agree with the comment from Ebized, I've yet to hear of any issues with the auto box.

But at the end of day it's going to be your decision, drive both and you'll not be disappointed by either. Enjoy :yahoo:

The auto is still the older style system, you know the thing you might find on camper vans and old mercs. Admittedly a very good version of it, but it's still a torque converter. It's ok, but not a patch on the modern auto dual clutch gearboxes.

I test drove both on buying and went with the manual because it was much more engaging.

Yes and no it's an electronic tiptronic box not a basic "slush" box , and I have a 7 speed dsg on my daily and the 370's auto is better in a number of ways . Many car makers are ditching dsg boxes and going back to conventional autos. Dsg boxes are complicated and can be troublesome

It's a preference thing , some prefer autos and some manuals , personally I find the manual box, dmf/clutch arrangement on the zeds agricultural , not pleasant at all in traffic

• Like 1

It's a preference thing , some prefer autos and some manuals , personally I find the manual box, dmf/clutch arrangement on the zeds agricultural , not pleasant at all in traffic

I will agree there, the Z is a pretty clumsy car to drive in congested areas as it is with its limited visibility, wide body, etc. The heavy clutch and gear box on the manual just make it all the clumsier. It is easily the manual Z's weakest point, it's actually a pretty crap car to drive in a stop/start/stop driving situation.

Nearly all my driving is rural and motorways. If I was doing more urban driving during peak hours an auto would be far nicer.

• Like 1

I have a manual and find the gearbox no problem at all around town. Other than can be a bit notchy from 1st to 2nd when cold I`d say it`s fine. Also, when I was looking to get mine the only mention of the Synchro Rev match facility in any of the Nissan sales stuff was on the manual gearbox models.

I have a manual and find the gearbox no problem at all around town. Other than can be a bit notchy from 1st to 2nd when cold I`d say it`s fine. Also, when I was looking to get mine the only mention of the Synchro Rev match facility in any of the Nissan sales stuff was on the manual gearbox models.

The 7AT has DRM and the 6MT has SRM...

You have the option to have the synchro rev on or off with the manual - but that does not apply with the auto, I'm sure .

Have to admit though that the spec sheets do suggest the auto does not have it (although I suspect that is more to do with the absence of the override button) and I think I am right in saying the base manual model (with 18" wheels) does not have it.

You have the option to have the "synchro rev on or off with the manual - but that does not apply with the auto, I'm sure .

Have to admit though that the spec sheets do suggest the auto does not have it (although I suspect that is more to do with the absence of the overide button) and I think I am right in saying the base manual model (with 18" wheels) does not have it.

Youtube clip above shows the 7AT in M mode with DRM in operation, it's 'on' when using the paddles...

Cheers for the info and replies guys.

Although I don't do much urban city driving, from your answers I think it would be rude not to go try out an auto to compare against the manual.

Let me know how you get on :)