ILott's Build Thread

iLott

So I have decided to make myself a build thread! I've had my car since 27th April 2013, and haven't bothered to make one but I thought what the hell, as some big changes are around the corner!

So here she was when I first got her

yhera2uv.jpg

uge9yse4.jpg

First big clean, she was SPOTLESS

ary4azy9.jpg

edege2yn.jpg

Then the big mods came! Cobra sport Y pipe back system from my good friend Mitz at CS, resonated ofcourse.

5ezetehe.jpg

e7ajenep.jpg

Then some rear camber control arms and H&R lowering springs! Again from Mitz at CS :)

gymuquby.jpg

azaguvyp.jpg

Old ones :S

3egutyze.jpg

And then how she sat!

e6aqe3up.jpg

Time for new wheeeeeeeeels! XXR 527's 18 x 9.75 in flat black, sorted out again, by Mitz! Then wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports from Camskill.

Goodies :D

yba8ynam.jpg

7y7yhyny.jpg

Et voila!

ge8ysytu.jpg

enybujes.jpg

yje3ajy7.jpg

mehu5u8e.jpg

Then some centre cap stickers...

yhavygam.jpg

Then put in another order at CS :)

adybupu4.jpg

azudysej.jpg

And these bad boys

dazy5uha.jpg

Old Y Pipe and cats

9uha3yde.jpg

Hole in one of the cats!

vuhe2a5a.jpg

• Like 1

Then came a Nismo knob!

mapu3yza.jpg

But I didn't like it, it felt too small in my hand so had this made up at work :)

nune4eba.jpg

Stainless steel, so it's almost effortless to change gear, apart from that dreaded second grrr!

My clutch pedal has always been rubbish and feels like it had slack in it and sometimes sticks halfway up, so thought I'd change my clutch fluid.

avu9ysug.jpg

It was filthy... But didn't really change the feeling of the clutch pedal...

So my extended wheel nuts started to becomes rusty because they are steel and just powder coated. So I tried to think of something to liven them up, re powder coating them was kind of out of the question because they would just become damaged and go rusty again. So I decided to try heat shrink and here's how it went.

My little set up

zygehe9y.jpg

An example of the horrible rusty nuts

2ujujaha.jpg

During the process

eryzuqub.jpg

uve9e7a5.jpg

2epyjera.jpg

Finished product!

avyquvyq.jpg

ge7ady8a.jpg

ba9yqyta.jpg

9ugeqave.jpg

I think they turned out okay, better than the rusty ones anyway!

Put in another order with my favourite trader!

a9eha6ep.jpg

5uhababa.jpg

ubu5uryr.jpg

And got myself these bad boys

2u9ejy8u.jpg

They are air cups, when I have my set up all complete they will allow me to raise the car at the front by 2 inches to hopefully solve clearance issues!

Modules installed onto struts

a8e2ypev.jpg

The whole set up, bar the tank because I haven't got a pic!

ne6u9yhy.jpg

Can't wait to fit all the goodies!

Edited by iLott
  • Like 1

Okay so this weekend I set about making myself a couple of tonneau covers to act as an enclosure for my air tank (and the fact that I wanted one anyway!)

I started by making a template with some cardboard, this was of both sides of the strut brace cover.

e9anagy5.jpg

apezetam.jpg

After that, I used them and cut the shapes out from some 6mm ply with a jigsaw, then sanded down buts that needed it, and got them to the perfect size.

yqe8y5ug.jpg

upuny4es.jpg

Then set about covering them with acoustic carpet from eBay! Using some carpet adhesive again from eBay.

ury9a7u6.jpg

After I covered the first one, the glue decided to pack up, so I jammed a screw into the nozzle and yanked out the little red bit which makes it spray in a mist.

temu9e7e.jpg

u3esu2yt.jpg

But then it decided to stop working at all. So a trip to screw fix and a can of evo stick carpet adhesive later, I managed to do the other one!

6ety5any.jpg

ganaradu.jpg

Finished and fitted!

umy4esyp.jpg

buby8uqy.jpg

Pretty happy with them, and I do believe they will do the job!

Thanks for looking guys

Put in another order with my favourite trader!

a9eha6ep.jpg

5uhababa.jpg

ubu5uryr.jpg

And got myself these bad boys

2u9ejy8u.jpg

They are air cups, when I have my set up all complete they will allow me to raise the car at the front by 2 inches to hopefully solve clearance issues!

Modules installed onto struts

a8e2ypev.jpg

The whole set up, bar the tank because I haven't got a pic!

ne6u9yhy.jpg

Can't wait to fit all the goodies!

Very resourceful mate! I like the heat shrink idea and may try it myself. I like the wheels and very interested in the air cup kits. Do you have any specs on these? Will it actually lift 2"? How quickly? Can you drive with it inflated? Warranty?

Ive thought about a kit but theyseem very expensive to getagood quality one than i wanted to spend so the why i have so many questions 😜

Okay so I got it from stance-solutions, type that in Google and go to their website.

They do various sizes but the one I have is 12.5mm shaft. It lifts 2 inches but my coilover may not allow it to lift that far, but we'll see. You can drive it inflated and leave it inflated. Doesn't come with warranty but he said he's never heard of any problems with any of them.

iLike aLot iLott :thumbs:

Nice 'outside the box' thinking regarding your wheel nuts. I bet that raised a few eyebrows on Monday morning at work...

"So, what did you do at the weekend Dan"?

"I heat shrank my nuts. They're black now".

• Like 1

In regards to your possible issue, you could replace the current front springs with shorter ones.

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/springs.html

Been reading on flushedstance.com how they use shorter springs, i.e 40mm shorter to make up for the thickness of the air cup assembly

Due to the thickness of the aircup assembly the current springs you have will need to be lowered 1.5″/40mm further down on the shock body. On a slightly lowered car you maybe able to get away with the current springs however in most cases needing aircups the vehicle would be “slammedâ€. In this condition you may not have the 1.5″ of additional distance to lower the spring on the shock body. By replacing the current springs with ones 1.5/40mm shorter when installing the aircups your static ride height would stay the same. Once reinstalled you would retain the current available adjustment below the springs.

Sweet

Wasn't trying to be smartarsey, just relaying what I found, as on that site they are using cups of similar if not the same design with BC Racing coilovers.

Really interested how your setup turns out as it's less than half of what it would cost if one were going for the KW setup.

Edited by BulletMagnet

Dragged this up from an older post that i created. Thought I'd add it to my build thread!

So set out to roll my arches so I can get ultimate wideness at the rear! Jacked it up and took the wheels off, first job was to remove as much dirt and build up from the arch as possible with a screw driver so I didn't cause any damage to the arch once if started rolling. Then cracked out the heat gun, hammer, rag and a bit of courage :S

su4uma4y.jpg

My tool! I wrapped masking tape around it so's not to damage the paint.

9e8e4ehy.jpg

Heating the area to make sure I don't crack the paint when bending the the lip up.

mune8eha.jpg

First bit on the first side.

adygu4es.jpg

First bit done on the second side. I rolled them progressively so did it in two stages, roughly 45 degrees then did it again to as flat as I could get it.

nydy8egy.jpg

Example of it fully rolled (or as flat as I could get it)

I also stupidly cracked some paint from being a bit eager and going back to a bit where the paint was no longer hot, so I sealed it up with some sealant as you can see on the arch in this pic.

ymyhu8az.jpg

Thanks for looking guys, and maybe it'll give some other guys a bit more courage to have a go at some DIY :)