Broken down on A1

OV53

So cruising along at 70mph and I lose throttle and the engine management light comes on along with the brake sensor light. I pull onto the hard shoulder and when I press the throttle it only goes to 1500rpm. I switch it off and then fire it up 3 mins later and it allows me to rev it up once before returning to the same 1500rpm max.

Any ideas for a quick fix or am I recovery trucking it home?

Stuck next to Newton Aycliffe northbound.

Just spoke to the breakdown service and the missus didn't even bother to get breakdown cover. £168 lighter.....marvellous

• Like 1

First thing to do is clear the code and see if it comes back on again.

The ECU continuously monitors its own internal memory status, internal circuits, and output signals transmitted to the throttle actuator. This self-check insures that the ECU is functioning properly. If any malfunction is detected, the ECU triggers the P0605 code and brings on the EML.

Possible causes:

ECU may be faulty

ECU harness power supply circuit is open or shorted

ECU harness ground circuit is open or shorted

I had a 350Z in last week with the same issues and the ECU was fooked due to water ingress as the bulkhead power harness grommet had not been refitted properly and water was dripping onto the ECU.

Preowned ECU's in stock for a few 350Z applications.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Alex. :)

Edited by ZMANALEX

So Lee came over this morning with literally every possible module that could have gone wrong......

zy5arydy.jpg

Started by unplugging the ECU and checking that as the carpet was canny damp, but it seemed as if there weren't any obvious signs of water damage.

The next check was for the BCM (body control module), and this is where it got interesting. We set about pulling all of the plastic nonsense away so that we could get the battery out and straight away it was obvious that water had been getting through. The back of the BCM was wet and once the battery was out we saw this....

8yzujypu.jpg

Not sat in that hole....

hyzu6apy.jpg

As well as this.....

a5abejur.jpg

Which would suggest the slightly damp carpet!

So the gromet at the bottom was replaced and the gromet at the top clipped back into place and fully siliconed around the edge for peace of mind.

Lee had a spare BCM (see above pile of boxes) and set about ripping the old one out, checked all the contacts (to which some had taken water on board due to the green tinge of them), and then installed the new BCM.

We then reconnected the ECU and battery before coming to the moment of truth......firing the beast up......and boy did she! Couple of blasts of the smiley pedal confirmed that everything was back to normal and then we switched her off.

All plastic nonsense was refitted and an oil top up was done before Aaron and myself took off down the road for a Parmo.

I can't thank Lee enough for coming and pulling me out of the shite, I've only known him for a fortnight but the guy is a legend and probably one of the most clued up lads I've ever come across. I won't trust anyone else to get the job done right and at such short notice too!

Over the moon it wasn't the ECU either!!!!!!!!

• Like 7