Polishing a 350 air plenum?

Ridz

Hi All,

I've had my Zed for just over a year and this spring I want to bring the engine bay up to scratch!

The air plenum on my unmodified 2006 is oxidised, and I would appreciate some advice on how to restore it to showroom condition.

I was impressed by a thread some months ago by Wasso which involved plenum removal/exchange. Great dedication!

Or is it just a case of elbow grease and time?

Can anyone recommend an aluminium deoxidising product and maybe a subsequent high temperature lacquer? Raceglaze Alubrite has had some good reviews.

Would appreciate any help, guidance or product recommendations please.

Get Wasso to polish it... simples :lol:

If you want do it yourself - make sure you have patience! I've done mine - took me a week!

Took it off, cleanned off all oil etc with something like brake cleaner etc.

Then went over with wire brush drill attachement to get rid off big lumps

Then fun begins.... sanding all down... going from something like 200 grit then 500 ->750->1000->1250->1500 (both wet and dry)

Then cutting compounder, polish and wax it to protect

really time consuming and messy! If you got some cash spare - I wouold deffo give Wasso a shout!

Edited by Vlad

Wasso's polishing skills are legendary! Mines polished also, but not to Wasso's standards. It was originally done by him a while back for another forum member, I bought it from them and tried to bring it back to Wasso glory. No chance! You need a lot more tools and patience than you'd think. Best thing to do is speak to Wasso and he'll surely help you out the best he can. If he can't actually do it for you, he'll point you in the right direction to get you started.

Thanks guys for the plug, and the nice comments. It seems everyone wants something polished at the minute, I can't keep up with messages. Good job I've finished my new polishing and spray workshop.

Message sent to Ridz :)

Edited by Wasso

Things guys for the plug, and the nice comments. It seems everyone wants something polished at the minute, I can't keep up with messages. Good job I've finished my new polishing and spray workshop.

You only have yourself to blame! Stop doing such a good job if you want less work :lol:

Things guys for the plug, and the nice comments. It seems everyone wants something polished at the minute, I can't keep up with messages. Good job I've finished my new polishing and spray workshop.

You only have yourself to blame! Stop doing such a good job if you want less work :lol:

Hmmmm yeah that's a fair point. Right, rubbish work from now onwards lol.

• Like 1