Trackday: Bedford Monday 17th Feb

370Ad

have a good one! have you driven it before, can be a bit greasy in the wet.

As for wheel choice, the lighter RAYS will be more responsive on track, but personaly i'd take whichever wheels have the better tyres on... after all the only thing that connects your car to the road is 4 small contact patches where rubber meets tarmac - so you want those contact patches to be working as well as they can!

have a good one! have you driven it before, can be a bit greasy in the wet.

As for wheel choice, the lighter RAYS will be more responsive on track, but personaly i'd take whichever wheels have the better tyres on... after all the only thing that connects your car to the road is 4 small contact patches where rubber meets tarmac - so you want those contact patches to be working as well as they can!

Not driven Bedford before but done a few other tracks.

Yeah its a bit of dilemma on the tyre front....The Rays have Bridgestones and the Rota's have Falkens. So in theory the Rays would be better but I find the larger contact patch on the wider 19's give them more grip.

Have 3-4mm on the rear of the Falkens..... happy to destroy the tyres but obviously don't want to run them into the cord.

What have you found tyre wear like?

I think I might book this you know, I'm off on annual leave that week and it's a cheap day for open pit.

Be good to get her out for the day.

Let me check some stuff.....

If you don't mind me drooling over the Le Mans blue all day....then feel free ;)

• Like 1

The width of the tyres wont make a difference to the size of the contact patch - thats just a function of the weight of the car and the tyre pressures - ie a 3300lbs car on tyre pressure of 33psi means a contact size of exactly 100 square inches - or 25 sq.in per tyre. regardless of the size of the tyre.

what will change is the shape of the contact patch - a wider tyre will obviously have a wider contact patch, but be shorter front to back. this means more lateral grip, at the expense of longitudinal grip - ie braking and accelerating.

Saying that, if you're zed is on standard brakes, you're likely to reach the limit of the brakes ability before you reach the limit of the tyres to brake, so that'll be ok. what you might struggle with is putting power down out of corners, of which there are quite a few tight ones at bedford. but conversely, there are some really decent fast corners where you need lateral grip - and since the falkens are nearing the end of their uesable life, i'd go for the Rotas :thumbs:

Man I wish I didn't see this!

Might have to book up! I will check a few things...

Yeassss let's fill up the garages with Z's.

It's dirt cheap mate... You don't even need to worry about spending all the time out on the track for that price.

psssh... 7:30 is better than 9:30 - you want to get your moneys worth! besides, by the time you've waited to sign on, sat through the safety briefing and waited for two groups of sighting laps, you'll be itching to get out on track properly, by which time it'll be about 10am!

• Like 2