Insuring an Import

350Zeee

Evening all,

New to the forum and hoping to pick up at 350Z in the next few months

One query I have regarding Insurance,

Pre-research, I was looking into insuring a 350z not knowing the vehicle was an import, I typed in the Reg and got a very good quote of around £350

Since learning abit about the 350z (from this forum), I now know the ones with the square rear plates are Fairlady's and are Imported, Now aswell as inputting the Reg, I also click 'This car is a Japanese Import' - Now my quotes are nearer £600

When I put the Reg of the car in, it automatically brings up 'Nissan 350z Fairlady' does the system already know this car is a Import? and quote me on that accordingly? or am I still expected to declare 'it is an import'?

I have read various posts on here saying the insurance doubling for an import is a myth, I hope this is the case!

It shouldnt be double. You might get lucky with some of these price comparison sites where the stars align and you get a decent quote, but do the right thing and ring around the insurance traders on here along with A-Plan who are brilliant for quote beating on jap sports cars.

The algorithms that insurance companies use are a complete joke anyway, written by a GCSE maths student from what I can see, so ring around and save yourself a lot of money.

As coldel said it really shouldn't be double.

Btw, just because it has a square number plate does not necessarily make it an import. As some people like to change their bumpers for the import style as they prefer them. ;)

I'd just go from the registration number if it was me and yes the system should know whether it's an import or not going from the reg plate I'd have thought. :)

Just spoke to Alex at Sky,

Was suppose to call me at 12pm but never did, so I had to call them,

Quoted me £520 (including 20% 350z Owners Club Discount) for an import and said it would be the same price as a UK model.

To be honest, he didnt fill me with confidence.

For the £150 pa difference, think Id prefer to stick to a UK model and a reputable company

You do realise the first quote on comparetheprairedog or Gof***yourself very rarely have any resemblance to what you end up paying, right? Try calling another company and going through the details before you assume that you will be able to get insured for £350 :)

Edited by docwra

I recently paid a base of about £450 with Flux's then did a few add ons - they came in close to that meerkat mob and were super fast sorting it out - This was with zero no claims discount as been overseas for 3+ years however I am an old fart! :wheelchair:

Evening all,

New to the forum and hoping to pick up at 350Z in the next few months

One query I have regarding Insurance,

Pre-research, I was looking into insuring a 350z not knowing the vehicle was an import, I typed in the Reg and got a very good quote of around £350

Since learning abit about the 350z (from this forum), I now know the ones with the square rear plates are Fairlady's and are Imported, Now aswell as inputting the Reg, I also click 'This car is a Japanese Import' - Now my quotes are nearer £600

When I put the Reg of the car in, it automatically brings up 'Nissan 350z Fairlady' does the system already know this car is a Import? and quote me on that accordingly? or am I still expected to declare 'it is an import'?

I have read various posts on here saying the insurance doubling for an import is a myth, I hope this is the case!

Hi,

Please feel free to give us a try if you like. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.

Regards,

Dan.