DIY Rolling arches

parello9

Basically has anyone rolled their arches them self?

I have borrowed the machine off a friend :yahoo: and was thinking of giving it a go, as i haven't payed and i know its about £90 done with archenemy

He done his but rushed it, as it was a old car and split the paint :surrender:

I of course do not want this to happen so just wondering if people have any tips if they have experience :)

Put 3 fat mates in the boot, does the tyre rub? If it doesn't rub then, you'll not need to roll :p

Anyway, I can only echo what others have said, keep plenty of heat on it and take your time. Mate done mine for me whilst it was in a body shop for a lick of paint anyway, so if something went wrong it was in the best place for it. Went fine though :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

my mate did this and said you should cut the paint with a sharp blade on the inside where you cant see it. it helps to stop the paint cracking. You might want to find some more info on this though? think it only really matters if your going to flare them. Just make sure you heat em up

I have the full arch rolling kit that used to get hired out when I was on the MR2 forums, I reckon that at least 40 cars had been done and all followed the simple principle of gentle heat and take your time.

You can roll the arch which will push that 20 - 25mm lip back and flat against the inner wing, or you can also continue and do a flare if you need more clearance.

Other tips I always offered were:

• Before you start give the inner lip a thorough cleaning, and make sure its sparkling clean, then give it a good coat of something like wheel wax.
  • Once you have rolled the lip up, use some clear silicon sealant and seal the gap between the edge of the lip and inner wing, you want to prevent water/crud/mud getting trapped between the U that you've just created.
  • Apply gentle heat and only work on the heated area
  • Take your time.......cannot stress the importance of this, otherwise you could end up causing damage, last thing you want is to have a spray job done on the damaged areas.

Everyone who hired the kit followed these simple guidelines and everyone successfully completed the job.

HTH

• Like 1