Would you want this guy as your doctor?

coldel

Having been to Melbourne a few years back to watch some of the Aussie open am aware of the heat it can get to, I think it was a balmy 30 degrees or so when I was there but it was still roasting! So for the tournament director to justify playing in 42 degrees he comes up with this:

Dr Tim Wood, who is the tournament's chief medical officer, said "we do warn the players" about the heat and man "is adapted" to cope:

"From a medical perspective we know that man is well adapted to exercising in the heat.

"We evolved on the high planes of Africa chasing antelopes for eight hours under these conditions."

Has someone mentioned to him that most of the players in the tournament were not born in Africa and their training does not generally involve chasing antelopes. Its generally looking ok in some cases (where people are not collapsing) at the moment as players get through 3 setters, but in the later stages when the top 24 come together and it turns into long 5 setters, not so sure it will be wise.

:lol: normally a doctor just says "come back in 2weeks if your feeling the same"

Theres a time and a place to use evolution, the reason women cant be on frontline fighting, the reason males fight one another easier than women, but its been a long time since we were chasing antelopes :lol: They didnt have a frappachino back then to cool them down

I 42c isn't even that hot. People have played more intense sports at hotter tempretures.

I was a keen runner many years ago and one of the few who enjoyed running in the heat. I ran in The Brussels half Marathon in 1991, temperature was 35c (mid 90's F) and believe me it was a struggle, 1,500 starters, less than 200 finishers. Had it been 42c then I wouldn't have started, too dangerous. Its true that people will run in Death Valley in the height of summer with temperatures around 50c but they have support vehicles and run at a pretty slow pace around 8 mins per mile.

Pete