New front discs and pads needed, what is the best combination for my use?

Lumpy Idle

Hi,

As above, looking for front discs and pads for my HR GT (with the Brembo brakes).

I see lots of choices, but which particular combination would work well for:

• 90% of the time normal road use
  • the occasional track day (1 or 2 per year, I'm not very good yet!)
  • plus maybe a driving holiday?

I guess the OEM discs don't perform that great since the last service noted that they "had gotten hot".

Must be 20 or more threads on here about brakes and pads...use the SEARCH facility

and welcome to the Forum ... :welcome:

Thanks, and yes I should have done :blush:

I see DBA 4000 T3 + DS2500 are a very popular choice, but since track use will be fairly light is this going to be overkill when some cheaper stoptech slotted discs might be just fine? I'm not too sure. Being a newbie I suppose I might be harder on the brakes.

Black Diamond disks and matching pads, or more expensive Ferodo DS2500 pads are perfect for this. I'd also suggest braided brake lines (like HEL) and a good fluid, Motul RBF600 for example.

Someone told me the Black Diamonds might squeal since the disc material is much harder than OEM - have you found this?

PM Ewen at Clark Motorsport, I got DBA T3's and Ferrodo DS2500 for the rear and PFC disc and 01 pads for the front as well as Hose Technic lines and Motoul RBF...

Even if doing a couple of track days a year you have to plan the brakes round that, its no fun going out, doing a couple of laps and coming in to sit for twenty minutes to cool down or worse get to somewhere like the hairpin at Knockhill and find theres no pedal...

• Like 1

Thanks Jixa, we will soon be taking delivery of the new T2 range of DBA discs. I am still waiting on an exact delivery date but they will be a similar price to the Stoptechs and will be aimed at fast road use.

As Jixa says though if you plan to do even one or two track days you need something that will stop you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just upgraded the fronts to black Diamond discs and yellowstuff pads. I wound recommend going with dba and ds2500 if tracking. Clark motorsport have a special offer on dba's, check the website.

Thanks mate, as you say DBA's and DS2500 or similar are a good idea if going out on track. The DBA T3's are £349.99 on the website they can be found here http://www.clarkmotorsport.co.uk/website/webshop/productsSearch.asp?searchModel=3%2E5+V6+DE+Brembo++2003-2005&searchMake=Nissan+350Z

Ewen